SO ....if you were me....

It's so tough to ask..but it is nice when the folks that have a passion like you do at least agree. 

The latest MJ project is now running and driving. 1989 MJ 4.0 Auto 2WD SWB looks to be a Pioneer package. 

DSCF9900.JPG

Have driven basically "around the block" so  I moved on to trying to make sure it is really road capable. 

FLUID in pressure tank looked black and water pump was def noisy crap.  Flushed with Permatex cooling system flush 4 times. 

Soaked radiator while out of the truck when I replaced.  

Replaced Water Pump ( NEW Napa) ( and Harmonic Balancer and front seal I desire to do things just once)

Replaced Lower Radiator Hose ( NEW Napa ) ( those springs do bad things when they sit for extended periods of time )

Replaced Serp belt ( NEW Napa )

Replaced Pressure Cap ( NEW Napa Volvo Style) ( Cruiser believer )

Back Flushed Heater Core  ( a couple of times )

Got alot of crap out of many of the other hoses. 

Decided to install my dash gauge package so I could actually tell what everything was doing.  

Purchased TU108 and PS133 per post for the Temp Gauge and Oil Pressure gauge. Install was average. Odo setting was 

fun and did an OK job with cutting the tach for the column shift indicator.  I was feeling pretty proud of myself. 

( PLAY JAWS MUSIC HERE )

Everything looked good EXCEPT the temp gauge. Got to 210 paused and then just kept climbing. 

I've tried....

taking the sender out ....made sure I had no bubble at the back of the head. Took off the teflon sealing tape after seeing 

that the body needs to ground to the head. 

Replaced Thermostat ( NEW Stant SuperStat 195 ) ( no I don't know WHY I didn't before other than stupidly admitting..it looked new )

Replaced Fan Clutch ( NEW Hayden from AutoZone ) ( can now hear the difference as it heats up ) 

Looped the heater core lines together. No Difference

Eliminated the heater core control valve ( I just used a pipe cutter and cut off the valve and then used two hose clamps ) 

Did the Hokey Pokey three times, Prayed the rosery, said three Hail Mary's and four Our Father's (  figure a little humor can't hurt ...maybe)

My next thoughts are ....

1. Replace thermostat AGAIN....just the posts of bad ones bothers me. Two bolts... I have everything other than the thermostat...new housings, old housings, gaskets...( I have an entire cabinet of new/used/old parts...Yes, I am a Jeep part hoarder)

2. Replaced the sending unit....AZ stuff is never my first choice but they had everything in stock and it was on the way home.

Punch me now. Everyone else's sending units are like $24 and look EXACTLY the same. 

3. PULL radiator and take to the local shop near work ( one of the few I have used and trust ) and have it rotted out and checked. Esp since you can't buy a decent all metal radiator for these anymore without spending $$. 

4. IF #3 is the taken.... pull the Coolant Sender from the side of the block. ( Really looks like a PITA to get at ) Just to make sure the block is flushed good. 

SO again...IF YOU were me ??? 

Thanks in advance...

And BTW- Remove your rad and flush it out yourself and flush your block out too while the rad it out and the stat housing is off.

Fill with distilled water only after you put it back together and run to temp........drain.......repeat.........Fill with antifreeze and top of with distilled.

Thanks for the responses...

mikejenn2.... Have shot my HF IR gun at EVERYTHING.....NOTHING gave me the reading of the gauge was giving....

the pressure bottle has never boiled....spewed....puked etc.    I HAVE HAD that ....IS that thing reading correctly? question.  

Sorry for omitting these important facts/findings.  

Have considered buying a cheapo water temp gauge at Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly .......

Have found ONE Mopar factory replacement gauge..... 

Jeep Driver   Was considering the MotoRad... I now know (after lots of searches and reading) that this is the brand you will get from the local Jeep dealership.

Previously, have flushed the entire system 4 times and flushed the radiator while it was out with the same Permatex stuff. 

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80030-Heavy-Radiator-Cleaner/dp/B000HBGHPY

Got the most out of the the system the first couple of times. ALOT from the heater core. 

Distilled and 50/50 are the only liquids used once everything has gone back together. 

The latest MJ project is now running and driving. 1989 MJ 4.0 Auto 2WD SWB looks to be a Pioneer package. 

Decided to install my dash gauge package so I could actually tell what everything was doing.

Definitely NOT a Pioneer if it had idiot lights. Only the base model had idiot lights. Pioneers had all gauges except the tachometer standard, and the tachometer was optional. 

Everything looked good EXCEPT the temp gauge. Got to 210 paused and then just kept climbing. 

I've tried....

taking the sender out ....made sure I had no bubble at the back of the head. Took off the teflon sealing tape after seeing 

that the body needs to ground to the head. 

Replaced Thermostat ( NEW Stant SuperStat 195 ) ( no I don't know WHY I didn't before other than stupidly admitting..it looked new )

Replaced Fan Clutch ( NEW Hayden from AutoZone ) ( can now hear the difference as it heats up ) 

Looped the heater core lines together. No Difference

Eliminated the heater core control valve ( I just used a pipe cutter and cut off the valve and then used two hose clamps ) 

Did the Hokey Pokey three times, Prayed the rosery, said three Hail Mary's and four Our Father's (  figure a little humor can't hurt ...maybe)

My next thoughts are ....

1. Replace thermostat AGAIN....just the posts of bad ones bothers me. Two bolts... I have everything other than the thermostat...new housings, old housings, gaskets...( I have an entire cabinet of new/used/old parts...Yes, I am a Jeep part hoarder)

2. Replaced the sending unit....AZ stuff is never my first choice but they had everything in stock and it was on the way home.

Punch me now. Everyone else's sending units are like $24 and look EXACTLY the same. 

3. PULL radiator and take to the local shop near work ( one of the few I have used and trust ) and have it rotted out and checked. Esp since you can't buy a decent all metal radiator for these anymore without spending $$. 

4. IF #3 is the taken.... pull the Coolant Sender from the side of the block. ( Really looks like a PITA to get at ) Just to make sure the block is flushed good. 

SO again...IF YOU were me ??? 

Thanks in advance...

I would start by finding what part number water pump you installed, and verify that it's the correct water pump for a 4.0L with a serpentine belt. The serpentine belt routing causes the pump to rotate in the opposite direction from a conventional vee belt setup. Because the 4.0L block is basically identical to the older 4.2L, and the 4.2L had vee belts, a 4.2L water pump will bolt on but the blades on the impeller are oriented wrong for the "reverse" rotation with a serpentine belt.

Also, be sure the lower radiator hose isn't collapsing. Tat spring is in there for a reason.

Thanks again...

Eagle....

Interesting.... I had to go back and look at my pictures and refresh my mind about what I did on the last MJ. 

Changed the gauges on that one also but it was because it lacked a tach ( was a 5spd ) but had everything else.

I find it interesting that this one would have have as much as it does.... 4.0L, Auto w/ Power/Comfort, Carpet,

Sliding Rear Window, Door Panels w/ Storage Pockets, deluxe stereo with 4 speakers, Tilt, Intermitant Wipers

and be base but I'm not picky and have emailed a contact at Jeep to see if she can get me the build sheet. 

The water pump is from NAPA part number 42004

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Water-Pump-New/_/R-TFW42004_0303846976

Will make sure that I check the belt pattern again. Just to be sure.  

The lower hose is a brand new NAPA hose part number 8333.  It does not have the internal spring but is brand

new and I've been watching THAT hose VERY closely.  No parts stores locally have a hose with the internal 

spring and Gates even states that their new construction removes the need for the spring.  Not sure I am sold.

Will continue to search....so far have searched NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced, O'Reilly.  Will call my buddy at 

CarQuest, they often come thru when the others fail. Amazon doesn't seem to have one either. 

"Definitely NOT a Pioneer if it had idiot lights. Only the base model had idiot lights. Pioneers had all gauges except the tachometer standard, and the tachometer was optional."

Not true. My pioneer had idiot lights. And I got it from the original owner (my uncle) as far as over heating. Are you sure the system is full? I had to take the upper radiator hose off the T-stat housing and fill though the hose and then top off the expansion tank. Here in Alabama where its been 100+ lately my truck idles about 210 but when I'm driving it cools off. I have a 195 t-stat. Test the t-stat in a pot of boiling water and make sure it actually opens.

Yes, you should never say "Definitely NOT" when it comes to MJ trims and options. I bought a running / driving 89 Pioneer from the original owner in PA just to get the original long bed topper, and it had the base idiot light cluster. It definitely had more options than my base 91, so I grabbed what I wanted from it and sold it. Nothing was carved in stone regarding MJ trim level options.

So is it overheating or is it just the temperature gauge.

What did you find for temps with the IR?

I did the same thing with my 92, I took out the idiot gauge and put a full gauge out of an XJ in .

Holy moly, it's running at the red!

Changed the whole cooling system out and no change.

Used my brothers IR gun and found 210 at the thermostat.

Stopped worrying about it after that, it's been fine for three years now with just the gauge reading off.

SOLUTION    SOLUTION    SOLUTION

Well after getting home and making one more useless move----> swapping the used gauge into the cluster, the problem was....

THAT SORRY/CHEAP P/N TU108 TEMP SENDER FROM AUTOZCRAP

After the gauge did the same thing..gauge passed ~220 degrees in 5.45:10 minutes.  So I  let it cool for a few minutes.  

Which wasn't long enough and when I unscrewed the DOA sender it shot a good antifreeze/distilled water mix everywhere.   

Installed the used PAP sender reset the stopwatch and cranked her back up.  After 9.45.00 minutes still sitting at ~210 degrees. 

IR gun indicated the temperature of area between the two hoses on the thermostat housing was holding ~211 degrees. 

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, advise, encouragement. 

This is what makes this place special. 

Almost anyone can be a JEEP owner.....FEW can be Jeep Comanche Owners!