New AW4 Power / Power Switch

HOrnbrod

I feel like a flipping idiot. Been screwing around for a week fooling with the TV cable adjustment, AW4 fluid level checks, checking the TPS,  etc. etc. because my tranny was shifting way too soon and too often. Turns out the damn POWER/COMFORT switch was in COMFORT. I swapped out the dash bezel last week, so that's when it had to happen, as it's been in the POWER position for about the last ten years. IDIOT!!  :shake: :nuts:

It won't happen again as I just finished hard wiring the switch permanently to a POWER / POWER switch.

Note to self: Always eliminate the obvious first.

"Ten years" Holy crap, that's a long time to have any problem! 

Perhaps I didn't explain it well enough. The switch got knocked into the COMFORT position last week when I installed a different dash bezel. Previous to that it was in the POWER position for the last ten years with no shifting problems. Ya dig?  :yes:

How about someone dumb enough to change the oil pan gasket and forget to put the plug in the pan before pouring the oil. Then after installing the plug starting the engine with the filter just a light hand tight. Looked like a fire sprinkler head except brown. Won't mention any names but just saying it had been a long day and up into the night.

What's the best way to get oil stains out of un sealed concrete floors?

Wouldn't advocate its use by anyone other than a professional, but my dad used hydrochloric acid (HCl) to remove oil from the concrete parking pad that my XJ liked to piss oil all over.  It worked, but I don't know if that's legal or particularly safe haha.

How about someone dumb enough to change the oil pan gasket and forget to put the plug in the pan before pouring the oil. Then after installing the plug starting the engine with the filter just a light hand tight. Looked like a fire sprinkler head except brown. Won't mention any names but just saying it had been a long day and up into the night.

I just leave it on the floor and spread it around with a broom to mix it up with the other fluids. After it dries up in about a year, it makes for a nice floor patina.  :cheers:

Noticed the Mj was idling a bit low, kinda acting like a bad O2 sensor yesterday. Got home and hooked up the scanner. Was reading the sensors. O2 switching great. Intake air temp showed 246*!!

That's what happens when you forget to plug it back in after a WJ booster swap....................

FWIW, here is the write-up I did on bypassing that stupid switch:

Bypassing the Power/Comfort Switch on a Renix Jeep

Remove and unplug the switch. In the harness are 3 wires One has a stripe, one is tan, and the other black. Make a 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one end in the cavity for the tan wire and the other in the cavity for the striped wire and you'll be in permanent Power mode. Stuff the harness back in and reinstall the switch for looks.

If you happen to have a 91 or 92 XJ/MJ and it has the Power/Comfort switch, just jumper the Tan and Blue wires in the harness plug.

NEVER include the black wire when jumpering!!! 

The easiest way to lock the AW4 into the POWER mode regardless of wire color or model year is to:

1. Remove the three-pin connector from the POWER/COMFORT switch.

2, The shell of the connector will be stamped A, B, and C for the three pins.

3. Make up your jumper wire as described above in Cruiser's post.

4. Jumper across pins B and C. The AW4 is now in permanent POWER mode.

The Comfort mode was supposed to provide better fuel economy by shifting gears at lower RPMs than the Power mode. I've never heard of anyone proving that it did though.

I could be wrong, as I am pulling from deep memory...

IIRC, the 'Comfort' position was for exactly that. It had softer shifts, which meant more slipping of the clutches and things of that sort to smooth out the trans. Down side to that is more slipping equals more burning, less positive contact means worse fuel mileage... So the 'Comfort' mode came at a cost of transmission issues from the clutches, and fuel mileage. As of '92, all AW4 transmissions left hard wired into power mode, and with one less switch.

Rob