Snorkels What Do You Prefer?

You have an 88 MJ correct? All the 4.0L from 87-90 had the renix engine which differed from the HO engine (91-01 I believe) in many aspects. Like the throttle body which you would need to switch to fit a aftermarket intake or cowl snorkel set up but it wouldn't be too hard.

What bleeping Jeep did there is definitively a cool simple way to mod your intake, but even if you do that your Renix Throttle body still has a very small diameter that restricts the airflow, so that means that the air is being funneled into the intake manifold, I think it's just better to go to the JY and get a HO intake manifold and TB and swap it. Anyways I'm interested in how the snorkel turns out so keep us posted! 

What bleeping Jeep did there is definitively a cool simple way to mod your intake, but even if you do that your Renix Throttle body still has a very small diameter that restricts the airflow, so that means that the air is being funneled into the intake manifold, I think it's just better to go to the JY and get a HO intake manifold and TB and swap it. Anyways I'm interested in how the snorkel turns out so keep us posted!

Not really that simple, the ports don't line up so to do it correctly you would need the HO cylinder head as well. Then you would need to adapt the renix TPS to the HO throttle body, and rework the throttle cable to work on the other side of the TB and adapt the HO fuel rail.

IIRC there's some other stuff that has to be done as well to use the HO parts with the Renix system.

I built this snorkel for my old 97' XJ. I still have it and plan on putting it on my 90' Comanche soon. It utilizes the factory air box, and I never saw a loss of MPG or had any issues running it in the rain. No pics under the hood that I can find, but I cut a hole in the back of the airbox and used RV sewer tube to connect it to the snorkel. The airbox retained the factory opening in the front, and I made a small cover that went over that opening when I went wheeling. I ran my 97XJ windshield deep in the water MANY times and never had an issue, snorkel functioned great!

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the idea of eliminating the air box to free up the space. Although I could have made something I bought the Spectre CAI kit ( they have kits for HO and Renix). I had a credit and a $25 GC from Advance Auto so I bought it through there. It gives me a sealed inline air filter. I will paint it to get rid of all of that chrome. Once it is in the cowl I will cut a hole and use a 90* bend to run it out. I am going to use a hat on the tube like a Humvee. Even without the hat having the intake in the cowl is pretty darn safe from the vids I have seen. I got the kit in the mail today. I may get started on it this weekend.

RENIX

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9945/10002/-1?parentProductId=

HO

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9948/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Here is one of many threads on the subject. Post #6 is kind of what I am thinking for the finished product:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cherokee-xj-cowl-hummer-snorkel-build-how-1008105/

I have way too many friends with snorkels to have one and look like a group of goth kids all dressed alike or something... :banana: