Gauge swap, little help please?

• 6 months later...

I just finished this swap in a 1992 4.0 H.O. Only difference between the 86-90 MJ's and the 91-92's that I found was that I couldn't find the coolant temperature sending unit for an MJ. So I just asked them to look up the XJ part number. This was at autozone so it might just be them. AZ part # is TU236. Be very careful with this sending unit, it is very easy to bust the connector off. I used a 14mm 1/4" drive deep socket.

The temp switch is 13mm. :wrench:

It's off of an I-6 90 Cherokee, and looks like the red and black one in other posts. Anybody else in this RPM range? I'll hit 3,000 when I'm accelerating, but not much more than that.

Oil sender socket, huh? Learn something everyday. I'll look into that, thanks.

What engine do you have, what transmission do you have, what tire size are you running and what's your axle gear ratio?

You can consult the tire size & RPM spread sheet I posted a link to to see what you should be showing. It should be a sticky thread at the top of this tech area of the forum.

Sorry - it's in D.I.Y. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28875

G'Day all! (First post) … and I am so glad that someone else started this thread. I searched the the forum and could not find definitive answers. I tried briefly on the yahoo forum but it makes my eyes (and head) hurt with all the ads jumping around. Wow! This is sooo much nicer.

My '89/4.0/automatic/column shift has idiot lights. I have bought the cluster and sending units from an '88/4.0/5spd. I also asked for as much harness as he is able to remove via plugs/connectors. Is this going to work without having to reinvent the wheel? That's my first question. Second: (should I start a new thread)? I have a small mechanical/electrical issue; The first time I put it in 4WD an indicator lit up “Part Time”. Problem is when I shifted back to 2WD (2H) the lamp stayed on. (yes, it does shift in and out no problem). I figure a sticky switch, where is it? or what else could be the issue?

And lastly I'm on the Sunshine Coast (BC, Canada eh)) – anyone else here? I know I know... this should go into the newbies section...

My '89/4.0/automatic/column shift has idiot lights. I have bought the cluster and sending units from an '88/4.0/5spd. I also asked for as much harness as he is able to remove via plugs/connectors. Is this going to work without having to reinvent the wheel? That's my first question. Second: (should I start a new thread)? I have a small mechanical/electrical issue; The first time I put it in 4WD an indicator lit up “Part Time”. Problem is when I shifted back to 2WD (2H) the lamp stayed on. (yes, it does shift in and out no problem). I figure a sticky switch, where is it? or what else could be the issue?

Wiring is plug-n-play. You don't need any connectors or harness. Unplug the old cluster, plug in the new one. Replace the two sensors, and it's done.

Except that you have to do something about the PRNDL for the column shift.

If your 4WD light stays on, the front axle probably has not disconnected. Sometimes stopping, then backing up for a couple of car (ahem, "vehicle") lengths will do it.

• 2 years later...

I did this and did a complete write up on my 89.

Man, I need to do this to my 90Mj something bad. I hate the stupid... I mean dummy light dash.

Mine is a 4cyl 5speed so guess I need to research the sensors and see what years fit.

• 1 year later...