Relyt120's Dd Clair-E

Yesterday I decided to go ahead and re-route those wires I mentioned before.

I have taken a dash out before in my other truck so I knew it was not too bad to do.

I didn't even have to take the dash all the way out. 

I just removed the lower dash panel, dropped the steering column,unbolted the 8mm bolts from the top and loosened the 15mm bolts from each side under the kickpanels.

This let me get at the wiring behind the dash to rerun the rca cables to the amp and the power and ground I added when I put the new radio in.

I also went ahead and ran the remote-on wire from the radio to the amp so it will go on and off with the radio, I had a simple switch before and it killed my battery a few times.

While I had the dash loose I replaced the a pillar trim on the drivers side since it was loose from the screw being over tightened the last time.

Finally was able to reassemble the whole dash for the first time in months.

No wires showing  :banana:

Here is how she sits

The fuel injectors and cleaned up fuel rail:

The Subwoofer and amp:

The Subwoofer is self enclosed and really easy to take out if needed.

The amp sits under the seat and below the sub.

Next thing to do is clean up the wiring under the hood. I'm going to collect all the things I've added and put them in one area. 

Namely the relay bank for locks/windows and the remote start module. 

Diggin it! While many folks here are trying to find floor shift this and that, I'm lovin the column shift you've got...I need

Thanks a lot!

I am a big fan of the column shifter. 

In other news I decided to do something about the unevenness of my front bumper.

Due to the wreck I had before the paint job the bumper brackets had to be massaged to accept the bumper again.

I was too timid with the new paint being on to use my jack to align the bumper when I put it back on.

At this point there are enough little chips from little road rocks that I went ahead and loosened the passenger side bumper bolts and jacked it up until it was level, tightened it back.

Now it looks much better!  :thumbsup:

If only I could find that damned ash tray  :dunno:

Always a good feeling cleaning up messy wiring. Any luck with the DW?

I guess I forgot to mention that.

After I got the tires balance at a cheap little shop the DW got worse and occurred much more often.

Could not even get to work and back without having to pull over multiple times, and i don't even take the highway.

I ordered a bunch of parts: TREs,track bar, steering dampener, center link. The whole shabang.

Got my tire shop to quote me on the cost to install the parts...$600!

That was a no go. I bought the whole truck for only $1175, no way I am going to pay 600 to get some parts put on.

So me and my step-dad ripped it apart and put the new parts on.

Alignment is only slightly off and I haven't had DW one time since.

I think the main issue was one of the TREs was completely shot.

I am going to get the wheels re-balanced at my tire shop rather than the little foreign shop I went for convenience last time, because I can still feel a little bit of a shimmy at high speeds.

It is so much better than it was though so I am very happy with the money spent on the parts.

Buying my step dad a big bottle of Whiskey is way cheaper than giving $600 to the tire shop! and i got to have some too  :brows:

I think there is one more TRE i need to order, alignment, rotate tires, balance tires and I should be good to go for another 100k.

Also i bought lower control arm bushings but have not put them on yet.

hey relyt120, i think i have a butt holder/receipt stash/change purse/junkdrawer/ash tray, its blue or gray. lemme know if ya can't find yours.

Thanks for the offer.

I actually have 2 or three of them somewhere but i just can't figure out where i put them... :hmm:

Too many parts in my garage! 

Always a good feeling cleaning up messy wiring. Any luck with the DW?

I guess I forgot to mention that.

After I got the tires balance at a cheap little shop the DW got worse and occurred much more often.

Could not even get to work and back without having to pull over multiple times, and i don't even take the highway.

I ordered a bunch of parts: TREs,track bar, steering dampener, center link. The whole shabang.

Got my tire shop to quote me on the cost to install the parts...$600!

That was a no go. I bought the whole truck for only $1175, no way I am going to pay 600 to get some parts put on.

So me and my step-dad ripped it apart and put the new parts on.

Alignment is only slightly off and I haven't had DW one time since.

I think the main issue was one of the TREs was completely shot.

I am going to get the wheels re-balanced at my tire shop rather than the little foreign shop I went for convenience last time, because I can still feel a little bit of a shimmy at high speeds.

It is so much better than it was though so I am very happy with the money spent on the parts.

Buying my step dad a big bottle of Whiskey is way cheaper than giving $600 to the tire shop! and i got to have some too  :brows:

I think there is one more TRE i need to order, alignment, rotate tires, balance tires and I should be good to go for another 100k.

Also i bought lower control arm bushings but have not put them on yet.

Nice.

If you never need a hand with something, I wouldn't mind driving up there to hook up a fellow MJ'er. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the JY today and decided to grab a couple of door checks to replace my busted ones.

I got two passenger side checks from a couple of Cherokees.

They are identical on both sides.

"Check" out the results:

Also, soon I am going to have to do something about the door hinges...I'm having to hold the door up a bit to close it some times.

Hope the door doesn't try to fall off  :crossfingers:

• 4 weeks later...

Got the tires balanced and rotated.

Look like its time for a new set, probably put that off until next oil change.

Still getting a little bit of shake at high speed but its so much more drive-able than before.

Will be replacing the control arm bushings and the last couple TRE's I didn't replace last time.

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and got the tires replaced.

They told me I need new ball joints so I had them quote me that and replacing the control arm bushings...

I about fell over when this man tells me its +-$1200!

hahahahahahahaaha :rotf:  :laughin:  :rotf:  :laughin:

Told him there was a 0% chance of me paying that.

Ordered the ball joints online for $45/pair and ill rent the tool from one of the parts stores.

Going to try and get that done this weekend and see if that slight shimmy that remains goes away.

When all is said and done my steering system will be basically brand new  :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Wow its been a while!

I finally got around to doing the ball joints

Only ended up doing the passenger side since those are the ones the shop said were bad

...Man what a bear of a project the tool I rented was just the right size so I could not get my breaker bar and socket on when using it correctly so I had to improvise for getting the top one out.

Also my caliper mounting bolts, well one of them, got destroyed and I had to search hard to find suitable replacements.

I went to Napa, Oreilly, advanced, autozone, the junkyard, and the dealer.

NO ONE CARRIES THE MOUNTING BOLTS and the junkyard did not have any older model XJs to get one from -apparently mid way through 92 they changed the caliper/knuckle mounting to use much longer bolts.

I ended up finding the specs of the bolts from a yj forum thread about this same useless search and ordered replacements from fastenal.

The replacements are a perfect fit but have two differences.

1-instead of a 12 pt half inch bolt head it has a 19mm hex head

2-it is threaded all the way up, unlike the originals

The length was perfect and they slid right in with no problems.

Here's the specs:

10.9 Hardness

35mm long

M12 w/1.25 thread pitch

(M12 x 35, 1.25 pitch, 10.9 hardness)

In other news my death wobble is back...

I think the new tires along with the steering stabilizer and several replacement TRE's masked the issue but with my alignment still out of whack (I was waiting until I did the ball joints) my front tires have worn unevenly.

Specifically the outside edge is excessively warn, especially on the passenger's side.

I was hoping finally getting the passenger ball joints in would remedy the issue but it seems to have only made it worse...I can only imagine the work caused the alignment to get even worse.

I am going to get an alignment, tires re-balanced, and a rotation. 

After that I will see where I stand with the death wobble.

On another note my battery had been dying periodically and I thought it was all the extras I had wired in (amp, windows/locks, power inverter, etc) so I removed a bunch of it trying to troubleshoot.

Then it died while I was at work for no apparent reason.

I think the battery has given up the ghost, I got it in 2012 or that's what the sticker indicates and I have let it drain several times so at this point I think it has to be the issue.

I am going to swap it with the battery in my other truck and see how that goes. 

If anyone has any other suggestions on the death wobble I am all ears!

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this.

Ended up replacing the ball joints on the passenger side.

Shop had told me they were bad and that aligning with warn ball joints would be a waste of money.

I was aiming to do both sides but it was a beast of a job to just do the passenger side.

Rotated the horribly unevenly warn tires to the back and everything has been gravy with the death wobble sense.

Still been having issues with the battery dying.

I have decided there is something drawing power without my consent.

I assume the issue is with a wire I let the smoke out of some time ago.

Also been having some other issues:

Truck wouldn't start by turning the key, Blower motor would not run according to the selected speed, B pillar lights not working with door open, but sometimes when the doors are closed.

So I ripped the dash out and started to investigate

Found the melted wire and traced it as far back into the harness as I could and cut it out.

Found that my starter switch had come partially unplugged.

Found my Blower motor speed selector was scorched and the connector partially melted.

I also found a couple of cut wires.

So I replaced the blower switch, reconnected the starter switch, repaired the cut wires, and taped the harness back up.

I want to put a relay on the blower switch to prevent further issues with it but am still deciding how to proceed with it.

The new blower switch works great, truck starts with key now, we will have to wait and see how the battery does.

Pics:

• 2 months later...

All right fellas.

I had finally got the dash back in and then the headlights would not work...

Pulled it back out and swapped out the headlight switch, to no benefit.

I have the supplemental relay harness so for a while I just ran a jumper to the relays with a switch so I could continue to drive to work.

Then the battery continued to get drained for some unknown reason.

Then it started to get hot and the AC has needed coolant for a while, additionally with all the in and out of the dash I could not operate my power windows due to having removed the relay bank and switches that control them and not having put them back in.

So I decided to buy a car from my aunt to daily drive.

I have done everything within my abilities to take care of the power drain, everything I ever added electrically has been removed, battery replaced, alternator works, dug as deep into the harness as I dare looking for shorts.

At this point I think it needs a complete rewire, at the very least in the cab.

With that being the case and the fact that I have something else to drive to work I think I will want to do a 97+ conversion in the future, I already have the front bumper and fenders etc.

So until then this old girl will be hooked to a charger/maintainer and pulling dump duty while I look for a suitable donor XJ.

I think I will want to get a 4wd XJ and do the whole kit and caboodle; 4wd, motor swap, dash, etc. 

ALSO, due to the addition of the car I now have 4 vehicles, and I live with family members who also have cars, and the garage is not used for vehicle storage so its looking like a car lot.

Therefore, I will have to find a new home for my other truck Bumblebee.

I won't be looking to make anything on it, maybe just get back my initial investment, $600. So if anyone is interested let me know!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The parasitic draw causing my battery to continually drain is still an issue.

It made my battery go bad eventually, but I was able to get a free replacement from Advance auto.

I took some days off to coincide with Memorial Day, so I am going to take some time to figure out which circuit is the issue.

I expect its either the interior lights or the headlights, time will tell.

Also the truck needs a good wash and vacuum!

Pics to follow.