Long Arm Crossmember

Hello all I just got some Clayton long arm for some old tires I had but it didn't come with the crossmember.... I'm a good welder and metal fabricater now I was wondering can I just weld some tabs with some gussets to the stock crossmember??

Besides if you have an 86 MJ as your screenname implys the Clayton crossmember would probably require modification to work anyway.

You will also probably find that the arms are too long to work with your current crossmembers location.

Problem is that on a 4.0l rig the crossmember sits further back so the arms will probably be too long unless you mount them were the 4.0l crossmember would have gone or shorten the arms.

You could plate the frame and weld mounts on,Rock Krawler mounts their arms kinda like that with the stock crossmember. Only difference is their kit puts the arms in front of the crossmember and yours would need to be behind it.

Just measured it today and the arms can adjust to fit perfectly in the center of the crossmember... With much more to go?? Soooooooo now I'm in a pickle make my own crossmember or beaf up the stock one?? I think I will beaf up the stock one I have the technology lol

The stock cross member is stamped sheetmetal. You are talking about putting all lateral and vertical stress of your front suspension on it. Reinforced or not, it bolts on with only 8 tiny bolts. That is very far from enough.

I would beef up that section of frame rail with at least 3/16" plate then build off of that.

Wonder if everything sits further back on the diesel, I would have expected the arms to want to mount just behind the crossmember.

Yeah I'm not to sure why but everything measures up to be perfect... Should I build my own crossmember out of 2x6x1/4 wall tube and beef up the bolt sizes and plate the frame?? Does anyone else have a custom crossmember they made?