Getting Jeeped Out...

Comanche County

Anyone ever got to this point?  I've owned about 25 jeeps or so in the last few years.  Three and a half current projects.  I consider my dd a .5 project, and the 4 or 5 things I need to do to the MJ as one whole project.  I'm actively looking for an XJ to put hand controls on for my daughter who is partially disabled (already have the hand controls,,,she's ticked I sold the last XJ which I started her out on with driving lessons).  I have other parts for Jeeps I don't own yet but plan to, again I've got axles in the back yard stacking up, almost zero walking space through the garage...I'm about to make an offer on an 86' MJ 2.5, ax5, 4x4 with rusted out floor boards.  Its kinda getting easy at this point so why the hell not....local club made me a committee member, and now I fix other peoples jeeps all the time, built an RTI ramp, gotta build a teeter totter soon too.  I need to go to some coastal third world country for a 6 month sabbatical  where the beer is cheap and so are the women,,,but I'd probably run across some Jeep in the rotting in the jungle and try to fix it while I was there.  Oh well, I guess I'll just keep jeepin on....

. :MJ 1: .

I hear ya, Jay. Told myself I wouldn't touch anything automotive all winter long that I didn't have to. Even went as far as getting rid of my ZJ in favor of a car with the expectation that it wasn't an if the next thing would need replacing but when. It was running good, so it was time to go. Had plenty of other stuff to stay busy with so I really didn't miss them. Now that the weather is finally starting to tease us with getting nicer, I went and pulled the covers off everything and took a recon of everything I'd like to get done before fall... and that was a bummer. Self inflicted though...  :nuts:

Been there done that.

I used to have something to do for someone every single weekend.   Whether it was for me, or (99% of the time) someone else, I never had "Me" time.

Between owning 29 MJ's, roughly the same amount of XJs, and several other odd jeeps, plus a few other brand vehicles....

Well, let's just say my pole barn was full of parts.   What this meant was people were always calling me for something or another, which was great...to a point.

I kept getting bad apples.   People would come for something at an agreed upon price (I priced out roughly 30% of what something was worth, which is why I sold a lot), and then when they got there they would see other things and try and do a "grouping purchase" of 5 more items on me for a measly $10 over what the first item was.  Usually they were worth more than what they came for.

The very last time that happened, a guy came for a 4.0/aw4/d30f/c8.25r4x4 front and rear driveshaft, both with brand new ujoints in them.  $80 for the pair.   Gets there, needs a couple pieces for interior, a door matching color to his mj in nice shape no rust no dents, etc.   Offers me $100 for the pile, then he sees the pristine MJ tail lights that I had in the front of the rest of them.   Has to have them.   I sell them for $350/set to a guy in the UK at this point in time (when prices skyrocketed) and said he was there now, $250 so I don't have to deal with the hassle.    After a bunch of back and forth and me saying there is no room to budge, and why, he gets agitated and calls me a cheapskate and inconsiderate (using pg terms here).

That was it.   I grabbed the lights, chucked them on the floor, stomped on them, told him get the eff out.   Next day I called a buddy who lives 4 hours away.   Told him "Do not make me any offers, do not offer me any money, I have separated the parts I NEED from my inventory, you can have the rest.    You must take it all to get any of it".

It was all gone within a week.  He asked why I didn't want anything for them.  Simple answer.   I was sick of being offered nothing when I was asking for dirt, and a low offer was more offensive to me than giving it all away.

I guess my point is, I understand your pain.  You are not the only one, albeit for different reasons, who has ever felt that way.  

I haven't driven an MJ in 2 years.  The ones we kept need work, one is my baby, one is my brothers.  We looked at his this week and decided it is irreparable, so are stripping the MT axles, split rear window, and ax15 from it, scrapping the rest.   Bought back my 87 (half through 99 conversion) last week, and will be fixing it, fixing my baby, and then I am done.  I love being on this site, I like helping people.  I don't like getting overwhelmed or disrespected to my face.

Yup, Pat, Ben, its the same deal, at this point I should open my own shop.  Its just the "good dude" inside me that prevents me from giving people those higher shop prices.  I'm no salesman, nor a pitchman.  The good Lord didn't bless me with the gift of gab..but I'm almost at the point where I'm thinking I could almost make a mediocre living off of it.  Thing is, I'm no expert, I learn more about all years of Jeeps every time I touch one.

I get it,...

I have 3 MJ projects on the go, maybe a 4th,.. Have to do a 2K grand Cherokee engine swap , finish the street MJ, bud a KOH truck and finish 2 fords and a total custom 53 dodge build,..

And I have a 1 year old and wifey that wants my time too on top of work lol,...

Lately I have had zero time and get frustrated. I haven't even finished my neighbours and best friends son power window conversion,... Then I clean the shop to finish my junk.

Feels like work more than a hobby!

That and guys who want parts for less than pick and pull but that's another rant

I'm not quite at the level that you guys are, but I feel yah. I've got two Chevy Metros, just got them both running, but they both need head gaskets. Two MJs, just need to tidy one up and try to sell, the other is still at 4.0 conversion and has been for the last year. Just fixed the XJ and am trying to sell but not getting any bites  :wall: . Have a Chevy truck that's been sold to someone since Thanksgiving, just waiting for them to make enough money. I've got a Geo Storm that I think has burnt valves, and so will need the head removed, inspected, HG etc. Got a '65 Volvo P1800 that needs a complete teardown and rebuild from tires on up; though in the end only the body will be Volvo. (Lots of ...changes... planned for it). I have a Suzuki Samurai and its brother the Sidekick, whose engine is going in the Samurai. Plus I have Toyota axles to put under it. I have a military '42 Chevy 1 1/2 ton Dad traded me, it's in Idaho if there's even anything left of it. Last but not least I have 3 motorcycles, all not running reliably, and two aren't legal to boot. Honestly, if I hadn't quit my job and stayed jobless I don't think I'd ever get any of it done. I've stayed jobless 'cuz my personal goal this summer is to get rid of all but 3 vehicles and the motorcycles; that way I can take on only one project at a time.

On the other hand, atleast I'm not Dad; he's got around 40 vehicles, and definitely no time for them, though he's got some super cool stuff. I'll make a short list of his stuff just for fun. He's got two 60s IHC Scouts and a two 60s Travelalls, a '73 Volvo P1800ES (wagon version of my Volvo), three WWII Internationals (one's a big flatbed, the other two are trucks), couple of 60s Macks we're trying to sell, a '69 W500, and that's just the notable stuff. He has many more vehicles.