How Much?

2k with a thrown rod is too much IMHO.  Even if the body and chassis were 100% perfect.  I wouldn't pay more than a grand for it, tops, myself.  What it's worth is partly up to the region you live in but mainly up to you in the end   There are other MJs out there that run you could get for less than $2000 that don't have a bombed engine.

Just keep in mind that, short of throwing in a junkyard engine, you are looking at at least 1500 for a rebuilt engine, plus figure in more costs for hidden things and little parts you are guaranteed to run into while swapping out the motor.

I would pay $2k for an unmolested, rust free body.

Unicorns do exist too.  I tell ya.  :D 

If it was the cleanest example of an MJ I had ever seen with low miles, lots of goodies already on it like Stroker said, or already had good restoration work done on it with said goodies, I could then maybe justify spending $2000 for it.  Then again, You and I live in the rust belt, where rust free cars are....well Unicorns.  That's why I did say it really depends on where he lives, because it seems like out west and in the south they don't seem to hold their value as much as they do here for having a good body/chassis

A rusty stock truck with a bad engine.  That's worth less than a grand for sure.

In the last 2 months here, 3 different MJ 4x4's have gone up for sale.  All of them rusty to some degree, and one even had a lot of restoration work already done.  All three ran and drove, and were in decent enough shape to be daily drivers/project trucks.  The most expensive one was $2200, which was the one that already had a lot of work done like new floors, rockers, and fenders.

My opinion, keep looking, because if he is asking that much you won't be able to talk him down to what it's really worth, and there are plenty of other trucks out there in the same shape, that don't have a bad engine, for less.

It looks like he has tried to cover rust or poorly fixed rust over the rear wheel arches & other places. Always look carefully at areas painted satin or flat black...those colors hide a lot of imperfections. I have seen better trucks that run/drive sell for $1000 but again a lot depends on the area.

I agree with you eagle I'm not a fan of lifts either but it's to "each his own " . I was using that as an example . I'm in Ohio an got a rust free roller from Az for 700 shipped and a complete running truck for 700 with very little rust . I bought another with 65k factory Dana 44 power windows locks and some rust for 100 bucks . There out there mj 33 take your time and find what you really want and I'm sure there are people on here to help you in your search.

Pricing is heavily dependent on where you live. Around here I'd say that truck is worth anywhere from $1000 - $1500 as-is, the 4WD short boxes are the more desirable version.

It looks like a bad rocker repair job, it isn't really all that straight, kind of wavy. With that said, I've seen way worse condition MJ's for sale, that one isn't all bad.