reinforcing a dana 30

Boys, my front axle is bent in my good MJ.

I have the axle outta the MJ that i'm scrapping...BUT the coil spring "mount" / pedistal on the right side is collapsed.

So I'm thinking...I will have another axle, but I would actually rather use this one and build my own mounts that are stronger, and reinforce the entire axle at the same time with metal pipe welded around it as reinforcement, and plates for reinforcing the other parts.

basically, i'm wondering...because this appears the time to do it....if I can raise the coil pedistals 2" higher for some lift. I know that I can, but can you offer me advice? I have 3" lift coils, but can get 4.5" ones, and new adjustable UCA and LCA's. the reason i'm thinking of doing it this way is that I'm going SOA with the 8.8 rear end, which will be about 6.5" of lift as it is...

after the axles, next project is a 4 cylinder dakota ax15 (external slave) as it matches my bellhousing pattern on the 3.8. that would make me a bulletproof drivetrain, and have 3.73's for gearing with the 8.8 and dana 30 front.

ideas?

I thik it would be easier and cheaper to buy 2" lift pucks instead of going through all that work of raisng coil buckets :brows:

BTW I have dealt with Ballastic.. their shipping is slow as hell, and they bill your credit card before they ship the item. So I had paid for my parts about 2 weeks before they arrived. Here is the bad thing... the cut quality is poor on their brackets, looks like they were made with an old cutting tip. BTW did I say I order almost 800 bucks worth of crap, and stil got bad service

I thik it would be easier and cheaper to buy 2" lift pucks instead of going through all that work of raisng coil buckets :brows:

BTW I have dealt with Ballastic.. their shipping is slow as hell, and they bill your credit card before they ship the item. So I had paid for my parts about 2 weeks before they arrived. Here is the bad thing... the cut quality is poor on their brackets, looks like they were made with an old cutting tip. BTW did I say I order almost 800 bucks worth of crap, and stil got bad service

it won't be cheaper, i get all the scrap metal i want for free and already have the square tube i think i'll use.

as for easier, i already have to redo the right side as it's collapsed, why not beef it up a bit?

I think it depends on how much free time you have. If you have lots of it I say go for it. But, if you are like me time is pretty valuable. You can find non-disco HP30's fairly easily for around $100 to $150 in decent shape. If you are internet savy you could even find a 96' or 97' HP axle with the 297 joints in them already. That's the route I would go and then either sell the other axle or hold on to it for parts.

I fractured my ankle (according to the doctors...i disagree) so i've been down for a month and a half already, and have another month and a half to go...time is VERY available.

I actually like having the disconnect axle. crazy i know...but i've not had a single problem with mine, as I installed it and replaced all the line. no leaks.

but I do want the 297 ujoints...

I remember a big dispute over on JU a few years back where everyone was saying the disco axles were stronger. So everyone started buying those instead of non-disco axles. I don't know which is stronger. Kinda funny though. When's the last time you heard of someone breaking a dana 30 axle tube off? I just ran what came on my MJ from the previous owner (a non-disco axle). Although I did add some goodies to it. :brows:

the only dana 30 I ever saw with something major wrong with it had the pumpkin shear off the left axle tube...so the diff blew up and the tube came out of the pumpkin....

and i only saw that in a pic. so I'm reinforcing everything i can, simply cause i got the time and might as well.

i don't like non-disco axles, i don't like wheel hop on the corners...the truck this is going into is basically a street truck so beefing anything up is purely for the IF situation. as in IF i ever take it wheeling in anything more than some dirt or grass, I would like to know it's done right and capable.

heavy duty dana 30 front, 8.8 rear, ax15 from a dakota, and buick 3.8 from a 96 camaro...not ONE part of that truck's drivetrain is original even now, much less after i put those parts in!

bulletproof too...

i was just talking to a friend to day telling him how i was going to trus the rubi 44 i got for the manche , Hopefuly gona do it on sunday, anways he seemed to think i was crazy but i asured him that they do bend. besides I'm not gona risk tearing up my 44 even though i got it for free. i do hate to lose the ground clearence from the trus but its worth the peace of mind, especialy after i throw n cromos/air locker and a hub conversion.

?how do u know its bent and how did u crush the spring bucket , lastly is said axel out of ur dd (project 3800)?

yes, the bent axle is out of the 3800. the front left tire toes out on the bottom, and in on the top. it's bent on the upper knuckle and has been since i first built the truck. it DOES effect my steering alignment...although I did adjust the alignment to compensate.

the axle with the crushed coil bucket is off of my project tatersalad, which I am scrapping. it's straight, the truck just tips to the side.

I may have another 30 axle on the way, but I want to test my ideas on this one first for reinforcement purposes.

When's the last time you heard of someone breaking a dana 30 axle tube off?

it's not the tube that's any stronger on the disco axle, it's the passenger side upper control arm mount.

It's a cast affair cast into the disco housing, rather than the stamped steel job on the non disco housings.

I will reinforce it then.

even cast iron...I have a welder who can do that for me for very cheap. it's his profession. that and welding aluminum for aircrafts

all the stamped steel one needs is the welds finished, and the ends boxed in and it would be just as stout.

stupid factory welds stop 1/2" from the end of the bracket.

I fractured my ankle (according to the doctors...i disagree) so i've been down for a month and a half already, and have another month and a half to go...time is VERY available.

I actually like having the disconnect axle. crazy i know...but i've not had a single problem with mine, as I installed it and replaced all the line. no leaks.

but I do want the 297 ujoints...

1995 YJ will have the 297x shafts and disconnects. jamminz.gif

I bent Pongs first d30 which was a disco axle down in Tellico :eek: Yeah it was due to driver error and probably wouldn't happen if I didn't try and take a stupid line :brows:

As for the non disco housings.. I suggest trussing the top off the axle, and limiting up travel, instead of trussing the bottom and reducing ground clearance.