Rear Leaf Springs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep.  If it's not sagging too much you can probably get away with a small spring shim/spacer to bring it back to level.  Moog front replacement springs are pretty cheap through Rock Auto, but the shims are a cheaper alternative if you are on a really tight budget.

Some great info I'm getting here. Thanks to all who have replied. Just wondering if anyone has ever used the Crown replacement springs I have been seeing on the internet? Or does anyone recommend a place to buy stock springs?

Call ahead before ordering and ask for Joe. Tell him you are a CC member for a discount.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Jeep_Comanche_s/1954.htm

Do you have any idea how much the discount is by chance?

• 1 month later...

I just talked to Joe at General Spring and he's got a new batch of Comanche springs coming in a couple weeks.  He was helpful, and gave me a little price break because I mentioned I was a forum member, so I ordered a set of the 4-leaf for my '91 4x4.  They are hard to find anyway and I think the price was right as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think you will be fine Johnny. The 4+1's are supposed to ride smoother than the 3+2's. I have the 3+2's and they ride great. I've never removed an overload leaf, so  :dunno: .

Removing the straight overload leaf on a truck is bad news if you actually use it like a truck, probably best we leave those in there unless the bed has been rendered un-useable by modification.

I just put metric ton springs on my 2 wheel drive yesterday.  Shocks are to short now.  Does anyone know what size I need to get now?

With the truck loaded (or unloaded) as you will normally drive it, crawl under and measure the distance between to lower and upper shock mount studs.

Then go to the Monroe shocks web site and find their on-line catalog. At the back is a chart that lists the dimensions and mount types for every shock they make. Look for one with eye mounts top and bottom and lengths such that the measurement you took off your truck is at the mid-point between the compressed and extended length. That will give you a shock part number.

You can then cross-reference that part number to find what make and year vehicle it fits. Once you know that, you can use that info to order any brand socks you like.

I just put metric ton springs on my 2 wheel drive yesterday.  Shocks are to short now.  Does anyone know what size I need to get now?

With the truck loaded (or unloaded) as you will normally drive it, crawl under and measure the distance between to lower and upper shock mount studs.

Then go to the Monroe shocks web site and find their on-line catalog. At the back is a chart that lists the dimensions and mount types for every shock they make. Look for one with eye mounts top and bottom and lengths such that the measurement you took off your truck is at the mid-point between the compressed and extended length. That will give you a shock part number.

You can then cross-reference that part number to find what make and year vehicle it fits. Once you know that, you can use that info to order any brand socks you like.

Monroe's charts will have L1 for both mounts on the rear for the MJ.