Log Splitter

jimoshel

Anybody ever considered the possibility of converting a log splitter and making a transmission installer tool out of it? After spending 2 days trying to install a AX15 into a '90 MJ, I was out this morning splitting some firewood. The idea came to me. Remove the blade. Mount the splitter on a adjustable table. Just a thought.

I was thinking of pushing the trans forward after getting it up. My days of laying on my back. lifting the tranny up onto my stomach, shimming under the Jeep, then lifting the tran up and in and holding it there with one hand while getting a couple bolts started with the other are over. Working in the dirt. not a cement floor makes it a little difficult maneuvering a jack around. It was just watching that ram move back and forth gave me the idea. Work smarter, not harder.

EDIT;

It's not the first dumb idea I ever had and I'm sure it won't be the last. :yes:

Jim, pull the trans shifter floor plate out of the trans hump, and shove an engine hoist through the door, then drop a chain down through the whole, wrap it around the transmission and lift it up. May need to block and rehook a few times, but not a hard thing to do.

I did a YJ's clutch yesterday, opposite problem though cause the locating dowels were rusted to the transmission.  I had to come along it to the rear axle to get it off.  About to do the rear main today, fun.

I shouldn't mention it cause you've probably done a million of these, but by chance are you trying to stab a later big shaft ax15 into the 90'?  Have the right pilot bushing in?  From Novak, "1988 to 1991 AX15 input shafts have a smaller (~19/32") pilot tip. 1992-1999 AX15's have a larger (~3/4") pilot tip."

I pulled the AX15 from a '90 MJ 4.0. Sold it to fella looking for one to rebuild. Pulled another AX 15 from a '90 XJ 4.0 Same year, same engine, same tranny, should be a direct swap Right?  After trying for a couple hours with no success I finally pulled the tranny back out and started checking. Not having the old to compare against  I finally got around to checking input shaft dia, bushing dia. 3/4 vs 9/16. OOOOh kaaaay. Checked the part number on the tranny. 53009529. '93 XJ.Somebody swapped trans in the XJ. I actually believe I invented a couple new words.

I violated two of my own most stringent rules here.

1. Never get rid of any old parts until I've got it back together again and running.

2. Never assume anything, especially when dealing with unknown parts. Always double check.

I unbolt the cup off the top of a jack and bolt a sturdy wide piece of wood in place. Bam, transmission jack!

I do something similar with my trolley /floor jack. The “Cup” of mine is removable by just pulling a pin, so I have made a couple of extensions and platforms to attach to make lifting different height trucks as well as different components up to be installed.

Here is something that might help….Just a platform (in black attached to the “Cup” of the jack…..I am usually on concrete so that I can use the wheels of the jack to move forward and backwards….but if you were on dirt…add a secondary platform (blue) attached to the first with Heavy duty drawer sliders (silver)…this would give you the back and forth you need.

You would have to of course put limiting stops (bolts) on the front and back of the sliders to keep it from falling out….and start with you platform slid back far enough that when you slide it forward you do not go over center and flip the jack.  :dunno: