Uca And Lca

I've studied all the offerings, these look to be the best but not the cheapest.

$%28KGrHqR,%21hQE1fCtgBlSBN%28+UbvTd%21~

I want fixed LCA, straight not bent. I can understand why you would want the 36 degree bend for a 4"++ lift but not for stock height.

I'm going to email them about making me up a pair.

I replaced all mine less than 2 years ago with stock (dorman) junk. Looking to replace for the last time.

Anyone have any experiences with Iron Man?

Any other options?

I'm definitely ordering the UCAs in the next week but  need to know about the lowers.

Thanks

One of my objectives is to get the slop out of the front end, articulation is not a goal. I want better road response.

Rubber bushings are fine, I don't want the harshness of poly, but I don't what the sloppiness of stock bushings either.

I also intend to do the double shear track bar too, there I may go poly.

That bend I do want for tire clearance.

This bend I do NOT want.

%21B5JqPO%21Bmk~$%28KGrHqR,%21ioEyeCy,Rh

i think that bend is for the taller lifts, if it where straight it would contact part of the LCA mount / shock mount on full drop.  The shock mount area above the LCA mount can be trimmed to allow drop, i have done that in preparation for my WJ Control arms.

i know its not the best pic but you can see how closely the LCA is to the shock mount in this pic

74659_10200215941701758_2133619267_n.jpg

Those Ironman arms with the poly bushings are identical to any other bottom of the line, cheap control arm on the market. Because the arms provide no 'twist', all of the twisting force will be applied to the bushings. This is why solid control arms with solid bushings at each end wear out very fast. The stock control arms may be weaker, but at least the the U shape design is designed to twist allowing them to last longer

The rubber bushings in the stock control arms are cheap and easy to replace. I know nothing about the Dorman replacement part though.

Based on your replies, I am going to assume you refuse to buy an arm with a Johnny Joint on one end. I will be getting Rokmen arms for my '92. 

Although a bit spendy, I have the JKS control arms on my TJ and have for 7 years. Might fit your needs, with a quality part. 

0612_4wd_01_z%2Bjks_adjustable_control_a

Those Ironman arms with the poly bushings are identical to any other bottom of the line, cheap control arm on the market. Because the arms provide no 'twist', all of the twisting force will be applied to the bushings. This is why solid control arms with solid bushings at each end wear out very fast. The stock control arms may be weaker, but at least the the U shape design is designed to twist allowing them to last longer

The rubber bushings in the stock control arms are cheap and easy to replace. I know nothing about the Dorman replacement part though.

Based on your replies, I am going to assume you refuse to buy an arm with a Johnny Joint on one end. I will be getting Rokmen arms for my '92. 

Although a bit spendy, I have the JKS control arms on my TJ and have for 7 years. Might fit your needs, with a quality part. 

0612_4wd_01_z%2Bjks_adjustable_control_a

I did look at those, and I understand completely what  you are saying and how these work. IIRC......something like $450 for the pair?

Do you see the lowers as more critical than the uppers......IOWs bearing more abuse?

As I stated, 99% of my driving is on loose flat surface......make any difference to you?

Wow, apparently the price of the JKS arms went through the roof. From Northridge 4x4 it looks like they will run about $650 today for a set of 4  :ack: Rokmen seem to be a little cheaper.

I have a hard time saying the lowers or uppers are more critical. You really need both to get the front axle aligned correctly, especially if on a lifted rig. That said, I believe the LCA takes far more abuse than the UCA. The LCA is also much larger and more robust, even from the factory.

Sadly, my TJ sees far more road use than wheeling...probably 90%. I built it so I could drive it 16 hours to Ouray or Moab, wheel it, then drive back home. I think it has 100K miles on the suspension. It handles great on the road and is a blast to drive down a twisty mountain road. My father has recently built his TJ very similarly to mine, but used the Rokmen control arms (with JJs at each end). It also handles great and I do not notice any vibration or road bumps with his Rokmen arms vs my JKS. 

How about WJ LCAs? (I know - it's bent a little...)

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

Are those the 99 - 2004 WJ lowers?

yes, somewhere on Comanche Club a member also used the WJ UCAs with slight trimming around the passenger side UCA body mount.  I seem to have lost the bookmark.  but i was planning to use WJ UCAs and LCAs on my MJ.

EDIT: Located that WJ UCA thread http://comancheclub.com/topic/19279-wj-upper-control-arms-installed/?hl=upper+control+arms

Sloppyness of the stock bushings?

New stock bushings are $5.99, are a simple press fit, and ride no worse than poly bushings. They last a lot longer too.

I used to run "Motion Offroad" (Teraflex) lower control arms and was replacing the poly bushings every year.

t-16322-165.jpeg

Rubicon Express got tired of replacing poly bushings under warranty and completely redesigned theirs. 

New stock bushings are $5.99, are a simple press fit, and ride no worse than poly bushings. They last a lot longer too.

I used to run "Motion Offroad" (Teraflex) lower control arms and was replacing the poly bushings every year.

t-16322-165.jpeg

Rubicon Express got tired of replacing poly bushings under warranty and completely redesigned theirs. 

Those are half the price of the JKS, do you recommend those?

How about WJ LCAs? (I know - it's bent a little...)

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

Are those the 99 - 2004 WJ lowers?

yes, somewhere on Comanche Club a member also used the WJ UCAs with slight trimming around the passenger side UCA body mount.  I seem to have lost the bookmark.  but i was planning to use WJ UCAs and LCAs on my MJ.

EDIT: Located that WJ UCA thread http://comancheclub.com/topic/19279-wj-upper-control-arms-installed/?hl=upper+control+arms

Awesome! I have a set of LCA from a GC sitting next the the couch in the living room at the moment, Wasnt aware that the Uppers can be used too!

Just snagged a pair for $50 on ebay

Will make a nice addition to my 5.5" Lift, Thanks for the link :D

t-16322-165.jpeg

Those are half the price of the JKS, do you recommend those?

Only if you want to replace the bushings every year.

I have a little insight on these arms. I've worked with Andy, the man who owns ironman. His poly bushings don't where out fast because he uses a tapered insert sleeve that he makes on the lathe.

As for bends, he makes each set to order so just tell him what ya want. Pm me if you have more questions. :)

This weekend i finally got around to installing the WJ LCAs.

here is a pic showing the required modifications to the axle mounts

1500955_10202705501419195_1068555852_o.j

When I get a chance I am going to install the WJ UCAs as well.

That $#!& ain't happin' here.

I have a little insight on these arms. I've worked with Andy, the man who owns ironman. His poly bushings don't where out fast because he uses a tapered insert sleeve that he makes on the lathe.

As for bends, he makes each set to order so just tell him what ya want. Pm me if you have more questions. :)

Cool, thanks.