control arm drop brackets

Probably.

The MJ does have a reinforcing gusset on the outside of the frame rail at the LCA attachment point, but the brackets still put a lot of stress on that point. A friend of mine had a bracket rip off his XJ in Massachusetts, so the reports are correct, it does happen.

Even with the braces, IMHO the drop brackets are not a good solution for a jeep that will actually go off-road. Remember that their whole purpose is to restore stock suspension geometry with a 4" lift. Which means that the trailing ends of the LCAs hang down 4" lower under the frame than stock. Unless your lift is AT LEAST 6" that's a huge problem, because the drop brackets become rock magnets.

My '88 shortbed had a Trailmaster lift with drop brackets in when I bought it. I wheeled it like that for a couple of years, and I hated it. Taking it out and putting the truck back to stock was one of my better moves. I think I can go pretty much anywhere without the lift that I could go with the lift, and I can still run 31" tires.

IMHO, if you think you need the drop brackets, you probably need a long arm kit.

I ran them on Pong for a yr and some, and I thought they worked great. I did not use the braces, and I didnt see any adverse affects on my setup, that doesn't mean they wouldn't help, or not needed. I was running Rusty's 6.5 coils, so maybe thats why I liked them so much

Do you already have the DBs?

I catch my stock bracketry all the time at 5" of lift. Can't imagine them being dropped.

I didnt have an issue catching the DB's, even at Tellico :eek: I think tire placement might be an issue then

Tire placement? I was focused on replacement.

I found a nice rock garden in town that I've been wheeling as of late, and the 31s leave me dragging on something or other just about everytime I take any line.

i was also wondering about using control arm drop brackets. i know that there not the best option but for a temporoary fix and some light off road use would they hold up?

They're a great option! For some reason, they cost a pretty dime. but the flex is amazing from them, and the people that have used them say that they don't get hung up on things like everyone assumes.

not tryin to be an a$$ but its funny how opinions change

It depends on the amount of lift. The Trailmaster lift in my MJ was a 4" lift, which leaves to drop brackets at stock height above the ground when the rest of the truck sits 4" higher. The brackets were always getting hung up on rocks. Once you get about maybe 6" of lift they're not as much in harm's way.

As to the durability, those MJ frame gussetts are VERY heavy metal, so they have to help. It also helps if you run control arms with something like heims or Johnny joints allowing some rotation at the ends, so that flex doesn't stanantly transfer a lot of stress into the brackets (and thence to the frame pockets).

I have a set of the RE drop brackets on mine with 6.5" Rustys coils. I like the flex and ability of lifting the jeep cheap without going long arms. The only thing I have noticed is that it looks like it pushed my axle forward to much even when the control arms are slid all the way back in the adjusting sleeve. Haven't noticed anything negative about them and sure don't get hung up on anything from them being to low. I like the drop brackets but thats just my opinion.

I don’t have them nor would I use them on the trail ,have seen them on the trail and I did see a guy get stuck last year at badlands at the end of the orange trail he climbed the concrete "rock" at the trail exit and one bracket got stuck he had to be pulled off.. He told me they do catch stuff and he was planning to replace them soon with long arms

If you were going to buy adjustable arms and brackets I would compare cost with the RK long arm system it’s just over $500.00

You know if you’re buying upper and lower arms and drop brackets you would spend that or more, for new stuff that is

But they will catch stuff on the trail, its simple anything that hangs down below the frame will get in the way at some point (and they do hang down)

They are not the best investment for the long term but they are the best option for the short term or street rigs to keep the factory arm angle

Its all relative. My first reaction was that they would catch on everything as well....That depends...depends on your style on your terrain and your set up.

To say NO WAY, THEY DRAG ARSE. Well thats not really fair..

Just as to say NO WAY, GO LONG ARM. Thats not fair either as its a apples to oranges comparison.

Long arms do offer a much improved quality of ride. But if you not going to run 35" tires there advantages become limited. That and not all LA are created equal. MANY won't ride as well isolation wise as the stock arms. I have said it before, stay away from HEIM's on the street. You will find most LA's use them. NOT a good option IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, their ARE good LA's but they will cost you more than the mentioned $500.

For the mild wheeler the BD's will greatly improve your ride quality. I would say good choice. Personally, my MJ is for DD and mild trails. So I have a set ready to go in once it warms up.

For the hard core wheeler, you will still get the ride quality but may be more willing to sacrafice it for articulation and out right durability. For this purpose I built my TJ. Bring on what ever, I'll likely give it a go... :brows:

Weigh the options and consider where the opinions come from.

CW

I have mostly run trails and some rock down here in southern indiana. Not really much else down here. I have 35" tires on my jeep with the drop brackets and am pleased with the performance they give me. I don't see how the brackets can be any worse than your pumpkin hanging down or transfercase or driveline. I hang up on my rear end more than anything. need to bob the long bed:)

i got a buddy who runs the RK longarm kit and his comments are that he is not happy with the way its designed at all...he told me that he would spend the change on a better longarm..

I was thinking of doing the trailmaster brackets but have decided to save up and by the TnT Y-link upgrade then SOA my rear...

Check out "ridenlow12"s recent purchase in MJ projects forum - I think it was listed under my first comanche.

He has some good photos of the drop brackets on the MJ he just bought and relax as he has promised to get the truck properly supported before it injurs someone.

I never really considered drop brackets as an option but I guess that they offer a lower cost and better ride (potentially) than longer control arms if you are just lifting the truck for larger tires and street driving but if you go offroading the ground clearance becomes an issue.

I know I have said this before but if I did this all again I think that I would go the long arm route for lifts above 5"

I thought the same thing that LA's would be better giving my wheeling style, and yeah they ride nicer, but the problem now is they are being used as ramps and skids :eek:

well, I guess you just have to build them to take the weight of the vehicle then.