Scrappy has an MJ? Watch out Eagle!

Well, I figured since all the NAXJA guys that own MJs tell me this is the "place"... now that I have an MJ, I guess I need to be here! I picked up this 87' from Goatman in February after I trashed my XJuggy so badly it was time to build a DDable rig. This MJ will be getting some serious work done to it.

Here is a list of things sittin gin the garage ready to go in.

-1998 XJ motor/trans/tcase/interior (following the steps of 1999MJ on the board here)

-35" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers

-15" super slick home made beadlocks

-D30 built to the hilt (4.56, aussie, alloys, full truss, etc)

-8.8 welded tubes and 4.56 with aussie

-Rock Equipment 14" air shocks for the front

-mid arm 3 link

-hydro assist steering with tera knuckle and homebrew overkill steering with hiems

Not to sure what I am going to do yet for the rear suspension. I can't make my mind up on whether I want to back halve it and build my own bed and link it up, or just use the leaf springs and oem frame and body.

Anyways... onto the photos!

camera077jm7.jpg

jeep020editcu5.jpg

camera075qx8.jpg

1002132wm9.jpg

This is going to be a long slow build. I am taking my time to do everything just how I want it. As soon as I finish getting the chassis stripped. I need to get it over to get steam cleaned to get rid of any non-factory crud off of it. Then I have to figure out how to get the chassis stripped. Either dry ice blasted, acid dipped, or something to remove anything attached to the metal. At that point I can begin to build.

Matt

I picked up this 87' from Goatman in February after I trashed my XJuggy so badly it was time to build a DDable rig.

-1998 XJ motor/trans/tcase/interior (following the steps of 1999MJ on the board here)

-mid arm 3 link

-hydro assist steering with tera knuckle and homebrew overkill steering with hiems

DD on 35s and air shocks?

Eh, it'll be super trick, so I'll be watching. Have fun!

I picked up this 87' from Goatman in February after I trashed my XJuggy so badly it was time to build a DDable rig.

-mid arm 3 link

DD on 35s and air shocks?

Eh, it'll be super trick, so I'll be watching. Have fun!

It won't be DD, but I will be driving it to Moab every year, Baja desert trips, etc. This is a DRIVER rig. The last one was a trailer queen. Sucks! This will be getting new axles once I get it wheelable. Need to make sure the motor and crap are going to work. Then its onto custom toy axles and 37s or 39s. Thats still a few years off.

Why do you say "eh" to 35s and airshocks? Around here, DDing 35s is pretty darn common ;) Most wheelers here run a minimum of 35s, with tons running 37s and 40s on rigs that see huge amounts of street time. Airshocks will work just fine for my application. The way my front axle is built, I can't run regular coils. I have to choose coil overs or air shocks, and becasuse of the frame to shock clearance, coil overs are just to thick.

Toy axles?

Uh...

Almost blasphemy isnt it! But when your looking at the situation from my side, it only makes sense. I want to build 2 SETS of these axles; exact copies. 1 for the MJ and 1 for the honda buggy. It will allow be to buy 1 set of spares and allow me to spend less in the long run I hope.

Diamond housings with FACTORY 4.10 TRD Elockers third members front and rear. HP in the front (through TRD). These chunks will allow me to get FACTORY parts at most any dealership in the world. Allowing me to get parts fast and easily. Longfield 300m 30 spline shafts in the front with his 300M hubs. Rear will be filled with Longfields rear shafts. This will let me run 37s without an ounce of fear. Even with the doubler I want to toss in and the stroker WAY in the future.

can't wait to see you get started on this thing. May give me a little motivation to get working on mine again

Once I get ready to start the swap, your going to be getting phone calls from me. I can promise you that! So if that don't motivate you enough, I don't know what will!

Toy axles?

Uh...

Almost blasphemy isnt it! But when your looking at the situation from my side, it only makes sense. I want to build 2 SETS of these axles; exact copies. 1 for the MJ and 1 for the honda buggy. It will allow be to buy 1 set of spares and allow me to spend less in the long run I hope.

Diamond housings with FACTORY 4.10 TRD Elockers third members front and rear. HP in the front (through TRD). These chunks will allow me to get FACTORY parts at most any dealership in the world. Allowing me to get parts fast and easily. Longfield 300m 30 spline shafts in the front with his 300M hubs. Rear will be filled with Longfields rear shafts. This will let me run 37s without an ounce of fear. Even with the doubler I want to toss in and the stroker WAY in the future.

Isn't a TRD (8.4") gearset going to really only be of comparable strength to a D44? They don't have a third pinion bearing, do they? Well, I guess they'd both hold up as long as you don't back up.

Personally I don't think you'd see me running toy parts. I've spent way too much time calling the toy guys bad names and making fun of their motors - I'd never live it down. I'd probably wind up spending big bucks on hi-9s just because I'm stubbron.

But a factory E-locker sounds sweet. Knowing me I'd probably lock them and leave them like that though.

Well, one way or another this should be interesting. You should skip the mild stage and just move right on to the monstrosity.

Why do you say "eh" to 35s and airshocks? Around here, DDing 35s is pretty darn common ;) Most wheelers here run a minimum of 35s, with tons running 37s and 40s on rigs that see huge amounts of street time. Airshocks will work just fine for my application. The way my front axle is built, I can't run regular coils. I have to choose coil overs or air shocks, and becasuse of the frame to shock clearance, coil overs are just to thick.

35s on fullsize rigs is small around here, it's just big for an MJ. And I haven't seen air shocks on a road rig before.

Don't mean to sound rude. I like the idea and I'm excited to see it come into the works.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered toy axles when I was offered a pair cheap.

I had concerns about the strength in the long run. My choice was to put the oh so popular 8.8 in the rear, and wheel with the 8.8 d30 combo until I could do 60's. I only want to do a complete axleswap/new driveshafts/doubler once.

they only stand up to 70 horse motors in yotas and samis.

But, I'm sure it can be made to work.

and you can destroy a perfectly good MJ without taking it apart. The midwest fellas have managed to help me do that in about a year.

Woah woah woah there. I know a guy with a 'done up' 22R that puts out 100HP! For some reason he hates, maybe because I laughed at him when he told me how he had like 4g into the motor :nuts:

But yes, that appears to be the secret to the toy axle's strength.

(I also know a sammi that dyno'd 16rwhp.)

Woah woah woah there. I know a guy with a 'done up' 22R that puts out 100HP! For some reason he hates, maybe because I laughed at him when he told me how he had like 4g into the motor :nuts:

But yes, that appears to be the secret to the toy axle's strength.

(I also know a sammi that dyno'd 16rwhp.)

i have about 800 bucks into swapping in a motor (complete swap...included purchasing the CAR that the engine came out of) that puts out 200 horse stock...

what are these guys thinking??? my fricking snowmobile motor puts out more than that 4 grand one

ah matt why'd you go and take apart that purdy mj. :thwak: :nanner:

cuz... i love to be the "destroyer"!

To bad this is going to take years to do.... damn. You want to help out mark?!

oh you no i'd love too. it would give me ideas of what not to do. :D

my plate is full with the mb and then there's that xj..... if i get anytime free i'm all over you like a dog waiting for a ball to be thrown.

:beerhead: