Fuel Injector Leak

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the wiring to your injectors. If the injector connectors are crossed it will cause hard or no starting, rough idling, and black sooty smoke from the exhaust. Since all was well before you changed injectors, it logically points to something you did incorrectly in the process.  

42225854.gif

All are correctly connected. And I do believe my valve cover may be the culprit of my oil leak instead of the RMS. But the smoke appeared quickly and usually doesnt come out of the engine compartment. It also didnt really smell like burning oil.

Here's something to help wit diagnosing oil leaks yourself:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking. 

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it? 

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first. 

Revised 02-26-2013

Weird smelling smoke from behind engine?

Check the wires to/from CPS. I have fried mine before. Smelt like rubber/plastic (duh)  :doh:

It worked, but the insulation was almost completely gone.

Did I send you the CPS wiring photo? If so, post it up please.

And by the way...getting the wire on the bell housing to clip in there is a major PITA...I took it another route after scraping & cutting  the crap out of my hand on a chunk of ???.  Tight space, fat hand. Any tricks?  I do not have any clip on the valve cover or engine side...just the bell housing side.

And by the way...getting the wire on the bell housing to clip in there is a major PITA...I took it another route after scraping & cutting  the crap out of my hand on a chunk of ???.  Tight space, fat hand. Any tricks?  I do not have any clip on the valve cover or engine side...just the bell housing side.

I don't wanna hear any whiney stories. I just wanted you to post the pic for me!! LOL.

Just changed the map line. It seems to run pretty good now. I havent driven it or left it running for long yet though. I hear kind of a light knock every 3 seconds or so while its running. What could this be? And how can I check that all the pistons are firing, just to make sure? I've got a job interview sunday so quick replies would be very appreciated!

Just tested the resistance of the injectors. 1st: 14.7 OHMs. 2nd: 14.9 OHMs and would jump to 27.1 for a second when I moved the prongs to the opposite injector prong I originally touched. 3rd: 14.8 OHMs. 4th: 14.6 OHMs. 5th: 14.7 OHMs and jumped just like 2 did. 6th: 14.7 OHMs. Does this all sound correct? Could all this just be as simple as the spark plugs are not arcing correctly or something? I'm honestly stumped and a bit scared of having to dump another couple hundred dollars into this.

Outside chance, but try this. I remember my MAP sensor became loose, one of the machine screws left without telling me. Make sure the connector, and the sensor to bracket are all making good connections, tight, etc. Might even try to remove it, clean the bracket, sensor and connector so it's making all the right electrical connections. Re-seating all the injector connectors again, another idea. If that doesn't work, trace the harness back to the firewall connector and remove, clean, reassemble. Just tyring to eliminate something electrical that was disturbed during the fuel rail removal. Hope you get this fixed, engine running smooth this weekend.

On the injectors, not really sure 2 ohms would make a difference in the old set verses the new set. I just measured an old one and it was 13.5 ohms.

Another thing to check, make sure you don't have a bad spark plug, as in cracked ceramic. I had that on an old 85 CJ, rough idle driving me crazy and that's what was causing it.