A Little Something Different With The Bed

So the plan was Rustys front fenders and bedsides... i had my buddy go ahead and cut off my bedsides and do my fenders while i was still in Afghan... 2.5 months after ordering everything i had still only gotten the front fenders... by this time i was home and had Jeeptoberfest in Ocala FL to make it to so i got tired of excuses on why the bedsides arnt at my house yet and waiting so i canceled my order and decided to go a different rout. After staring it down for some time this is what i came up with... i may not be the first to do this but it is what it is... At the ride everyone was asking where i got the bed from and didnt believe me when i told them it was the inner bed... 

Tail lights are military LED tail lights made by TruckLite... very good quality and very easy to mount on any flat surface... why the wrangler guys don't all have them i don't know as they should be a direct screw on for them... just gotta be wired in... I put mine in ammo cans which of course double as storage...

I took the money from the bedsides and got a rogue bender... i will be tubing the bed the way you see it... basically outlining it with DOM and above the tires will become my airshock hoop for my sterling 10.50 thats going in it this spring when i get back from Afghan again... I may also shorten up the back of the bed since i couldnt seem to keep it off the rocks this past weekend... easy to do when linked... but i need to decide before i tube everything... 

questions or specific pic requests are cool with me also...

1524_10152015663583993_855042507_n.jpg

557906_10152015663903993_1431432_n.jpg

1377616_10152015664288993_1806214313_n.j

1391513_10152009677033993_155771539_n.jp

1383538_10152009676888993_626967080_n.jp

1380097_10152008610203993_1947149398_n.j

my rear bumper was setup for a bed side also so i need to chop the ends off... i JUST had them lineX'd before this past weekend so i couldnt bring myself to do it... well i tore most that off this weekend so i don't mind so much... just gonna have to wait till next spring... i think if I'm gonna do that I'm gonna go ahead and raise it up flush with the bottom of the beds inside since theres no low bed to cover anymore and if i shorten the bed then itll be even easier.... the bumpers custom made for a XJ actually but i built new brackets so i could mount it to my MJ... works great!

ha what up man... you coming to get this skid or not? I'm about to list it on here with some other things... sometime today i hope... i got some other stuff you may want and can make ya a deal on all of it if you come get it.. 

Alright man, well list it all up and I'll see if it worth the drive, it'll be hard with being in school but it's do able lol

How solid are the bed sides as it is now?  I've seen a few other beds done similarly, but they've all had some sort of tube work done to firm them up.   

I like how you kept the inner fender well and trimmed it up to act as a flare.  Nice job!

It really is a shame Jeep made the beds with such thin sheet metal.  This kind of bed chop would be more popular if there were some metal to work with.  The decent look for this kind of chop also depends on how clean the inside of the bed is..... I've seen some that are all "pimply" from the dents inside.

Bravo on thinking out of the box and finding a unique solution!  I dig it. :thumbsup:

X2. Really slick idea and execution. looks great.

How solid are the bed sides as it is now?  I've seen a few other beds done similarly, but they've all had some sort of tube work done to firm them up.   

I like how you kept the inner fender well and trimmed it up to act as a flare.  Nice job!

It really is a shame Jeep made the beds with such thin sheet metal.  This kind of bed chop would be more popular if there were some metal to work with.  The decent look for this kind of chop also depends on how clean the inside of the bed is..... I've seen some that are all "pimply" from the dents inside.

Bravo on thinking out of the box and finding a unique solution!  I dig it. :thumbsup:

Its really not that weak... i mean i jump in and out of the sides like crazy... stepping on them and everything... no issues... i hit the back right top corner on a rock and it didnt move the whole bed side... it did dent the sheetmetal though... if it was weak it would have pushed it in... Also my ammo boxes are mounted to the back bedside and the floor so that probly helped there... my beds not beat up on the inside to bad... for its life its had a thick rubber mat so its near perfect other than a little surface rust... when i get back in march and am done welding stuff to it I'm gonna have it lineX'd as well... i wanna try and keep the fender look to it but will be hard with a air shock in there... may have to build a tube flare with a hole for the shock or something...

X2. Really slick idea and execution. looks great.

Thank yas!