Malfunctioning Ignition Lock Cylinder? Push Start?

Need some help guys. This has happened to me before but stopped and now it's back. I'll put the key in and start it and then the luck cylinder eats stuck in the on position. I can't turn the truck off or anything. I have to pull the coil wire to turn the truck off, the fiddle with the key with a par of pliers for a few minutes before I can get it out. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all but all the sudden it started doing it almost every time. It's a PIMA! Also sometimes it will get stuck in the off position. And won't relase the key.

Anyway, it has done this before but stop. A while ago my steering column was really loose, do I pulled it all apart and tightened up the four screws that had backed out and made the column loose, then I put the column back together. Did I do something wrong there? Or is the problem the lock cylinder it's self?

Now on to my last question. Can I just make this thing freaking push start so I never have to deal with this problem any more? What would I need in order to do that? That option looks more appealing to me anyway. The rig is driven about 3000 miles a year and sits in the garage most of the time.

Help me out.

Push-starts aren't hard to rig up on older vehicles. Take the wires that go to the ignition switch, and patch in a switch for the "run" position and a push-button switch for the "start" position. Common sense tells me not to put them in too obvious a place or make it glaringly obvious what they do. You may however encounter issues with steering wheel locks.

Push start is easy to accomplish on the jeep, however the steering wheel lock and trans shift lock (if auto) are controlled by the lock cylinder. I would first check the rod that goes from the ignition cylinder down to the ignition switch to make sure it's positioned correctly as that sounds like part of your problem, especially since you had the steering wheel apart before this started happening.

Not sure about the steering lock as it's probably a tab on the back of the ignition cylinder but the trans shift lock operates like the ignition switch as there's a small accuating rod at the top of the steering column by the joint where it moves. You might be able to see it as I believe it runs to one of the cables attached to the shifter and can be removed from there.