Power steering issues

My power steering has been leaking from somewhere up high ever since it's been parked. I still haven't figured out from where. Today I started it and it was squeeling pretty good. So I put some power steering fluid in it. They don't use ATF in the power steering do they? Because my fluid looks pretty red.

Also, after it ran for a few minutes I shut it off and it was spewing power steering fluid out of the little tiny hole in the top of the cap. Is there supposed to be a hole that runs through the dipstick up to the top of the cap for venting? Or do I have some kind of replacement cap on there?

I guess I'm going to have to completely dissassemble that power steering and find the leak.

Does anyone have any input on my situation or have some knowledge I don't pertaining to these power steering systems?

Thanks

There is a flow control valve screwed into the back of the power steering reservoir that regulates the closed system pressure. After you remove the hex cap, remove the valve, spring, and o-rings and clean everything up so the valve piston slides freely and replace the o-rings if necessary. If this doesn't work, the fluid may have become contaminated. In this case you'll have to disassemble the pump amd hoses and flush the entire system thoroughly. NEVER use anything but the recommended power steering fluid.

I just went through the same thing. I opted to replace the power steering pump instead of disassembling, cleaning, replacing O-rings and having it still leak. The pump is less than $80 at NAPA (ask for the AAA discount), I felt that was well worth it. I also decided to change the pressure hose, return hose and serpentine belt while I was at it. Now there’s no noise and I don’t have to strain turning the wheels.

if going through all the trouble of changing out the pump and lines I would recommend a small transmission cooler plumbed in.

At winterfest my power steering hated me for turning 34's in the rocks. The fluid was water thin and I could hear the pump cavitating.

a cooler brand new at the parts store was $30, and came with all the hoses I needed.

Cheap insurance against killing the new pump and gear box if you wheel it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Buy a new one and forget about it. But all these little things sure add up. I need a new battery too. I suppose eventually I will be able to stop spending money. That's the goal at least.

I'll invest in the cooler too. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent cheap cooler?

old 70's era big fords have small cooler about 5 inches wide and 12 inches long that hand downwards off of their pwr str mounting brackets out in front of the belts and pulleys. Those big fords need the cooling help with all that weight up front

89mjay, Is the leak only when it sits, or when running? If when sitting then most likely a return line or clamp. If when running, & keep in mind residual leakage, it will probably be a pressure leak. Most often from pressure line, sometimes from pump frt.seal. If pump, as mentioned earlier p/s pump replaced w/reman. is way to go due to labor/time to reseal &/or rebuild. Use a can of brake clean & spray off, then look for leak. S-belt must have correct tension.

mjcanoe

It leaks when it's sitting. It looks like it is leaking up pretty high on the pump. I think it is leaking when running too, just not positive. I don't see any specific spot though. I'll try cleaning the crap out of the area and try and track it down that way. The rear main has a pretty good leak too. If it gets annoying I've got a seal and pan gasket here to do the job. I just don't look forward to doing it.

87MJay, Look for leak @ frt. shaft seal or return line, possibly crack in plastic hsg from previous stress /abuse. Don't forget residual leakage from pressure port/line. Rr. main not that bad a job, write me when you get ready & I'll give you some pointers/shortcuts, etc.

mjcanoe