How do you cut?????

CEThomas

How do you cut things out like floor pans, rockers, fenders and the likes. Plasma cutter, oxy acetylene , cutoff wheels, saw???

We have a lot to cut out and replace on the MJ and ZJ along with a few other projects. Already have the cutoff wheels and a jig saw, but want something better for all I have to do. I have had a oxy acetylene setup, should have kept it :cry: Never used a Plasma cutter and do not want to take much $$$ away from the MJ project.

So should I get:

1. Good Saw Zal

2. Oxy acetylene

3. Plasma cutter

4. Use what I have and use the $$$ on the MJ

Charles

general rule of thumb, get it done any way you can without hurting yourself (much) and without wrecking your truck.

I personally use a plasma cutter...my grandpa operates a construction business and has 3 so I borrow one when I can. I don't do oxy/acedaline because it's not a clean enough cut for me and I don't want all the clean up work.

cutting wheels and sawsalls are great, but you can't get into some tight spaces with them and often have to cut a large piece out by dividing it into several smaller pieces.

is time more valuable to you or is having a bad@$$ MJ and ZJ more important?

What's a plasma worth? I've not looked into it... But I think I want to invest in one eventually.

I'd probably sawzall it or use a cutoff wheel. I prefer the sawzall if I can because I always seem to almost cut off my fingers with the angle grinder...

I've only used a plasma once and oxy about 4 times. The oxy wasn't very clean, and I know I wan't using the plasma properly, cause it wasn't very clean either. My pops loves the sawzall and I'm an angle grider guy. With an angle grinder and a good set of gloves, nothing can stop me.

i have had all at my disposasl before. by far plasma is the best once you learn to work it. you can get good with a torch too, but its never as clean a cut. sawzall works great if the room is there, but a 3'' cutoff wheel is what i use the most. its small and easy to manuver. and i am only usually doing small stuff so its not worth it to fire up the torches or a plasma cutter.

This is a trick question right. I have a Plasma, real nice for detail work, or metal that I am going to use on something else, by far the fastest, as far as clean up goes, but by far the most expensive when you figure out how much it costs per cut inch.

Next come the Oxy torch, love it as well. Great for scraping work that has to be done quick, Also good for cutting thick metal, as my plasma wil only clen cut 3/8, so if I am cutting half or thicker, and I am going to use a grinder anyways, I am going to use what is cheaper to cut with.

Then you got the sawzall, blades are kinda expensive, and you always bend your last blade when the store closes. Down side kinda slow, noisy.

Grinder with cutoff wheel, great for thin stuff, and tight areas, again slow and noisy, plus balck buggers.

Like I said each type of cutting tool has its purpose, it is just a matter of how much time and money you want to spend on your cuts.

just cuz its faster, dosnt mean its better. i prefer to use a body saw(buy lots of blades and take the pos gaurd off) and a cut off wheel using a 3 in disc. a spot weld drill bit and thats all i use at work.