having overheating problems

well it is a 1989 stock 4.0 six cylinder....but why would it be gettin hott???

With that cooling system, the resevoir is pressurized (much like more modern systems). If there is a leak ANYWHERE in the system - you will lose pressure and it will heat up far more rapidly.

Typically those bottles get old and cracked, then they start to leak. Check it, and the cap. Check the hose connectors all over the place. Check the hoses too. Check there's no coolant in the oil (worst case scenario). And make sure she doesn't blow white smoke out of the tail-pipe.

If it all checks out okay and the coolant level is still dropping.... then I'll be damned :nuts:

I had a head gasket on my 2.2L S-10 leak down the outside rear of the block once. No coolant in the oil so it took me forever to find it on the backside of the engine...pressure check found it.

make sure to get a pressure bottle replacement though if you do replace that 'resovoir' i got mine OEM for about 45 bucks with a cap.

if it runs hot but deosnt leak fluid is when you have problems.

quadratec has them, crown auto parts, seemed just as good as the original I took off, $25 at my door.

I had the same problem with my MJ recently, my resevoir is leaking to. We found out that a couple of years ago there was a recall on those bottles because the cap ends up leaking. Mine still leaks for now till I go get the new bottle on the 13th but, we did fix my overheating problem. We replaced all the rad hoses and changed the thermostat and it hasn't overheated since.It's actually running cooler then it has since I've been driving it. We just have to keep checking my coolant level till I change the resevoir.