I dont want to jynx it....

Twisty

I've done that, but I will go do it again just be be sure that the terminals are not the problem :cheers: .

It wasn't the terminals for me, but actually the cables. PO put on aftermarket cable crimps for the battery and the cables themselves turned green. Had to dissemble them and clean the actual exposed cable, about 1 inch. Then she cranked over.

X2

But I didnt clean mine, I cut them and crimped new ends on, and she fired right up. That was in my 2000 TJ.

Twisty - Not that bad looking, I think you got a good buy there, kind of looks like the add said it would :teehee:

Naw- that a good start, even has the roll bar jamminz.gif

Little cleaning up and your good to go comanche.gif

Well I discovered that the drivers side cab corner is rusted to $#!+ and might be too much for me to handle. I'm going to remove the carpet and seat today to see what else is hiding under there. I'm a little worried that I might end up junking it because I just don't have the resources to fix it up. :cry:

:roll: :hateputers: :headpop: :mad:

Yeah, I pulled up the carpet, and the floors are SO bad. The frame rails are even on their way out. I'm just going to pull stuff off, and bring it to a JY. I The bumper is in decent shape, other then the surface rust on it. I'll let you know if I decide to keep it or not. Roll bar is NOT for sale :brows:

Well I discovered that the drivers side cab corner is rusted to $#!+ and might be too much for me to handle. I'm going to remove the carpet and seat today to see what else is hiding under there. I'm a little worried that I might end up junking it because I just don't have the resources to fix it up. :cry:

:roll: :hateputers: :headpop: :mad:

Just grab 2 tailgate caps from a current model Ram pickup and use them to cover up the rockers. Then screw some sheetmetal over any holes you find on floor. Rusty rockers should never be the death sentence for an MJ. If it was, they're would be far far fewer on the roads today. Only one of mine has any rockers to speak of and all have holes in the floorboards.

Well I liked the suggestions from JeepcoMJ and CW, and went out and took some pics. I think its definately salvagable...but it will be TONS of work. Most of it appears to be concentrated in the cab. You can see that the cab corner on the drivers side is GONE, but on the passy side, it is still solid. The floors on the drivers side are shot to pieces, and the upper "frame rails" are shot too. On the passy side, I think some sanding and some painting along with some new floors would take care of the problem there. The rockers on both sides are rusted and fiberglassed...I would need some new ones.

On to the pics!

Drivers cab corner and rocker pannel.

Mild bed rust on the drivers side.

Passanger side rocker/cab corner. I have checked from the inside and there is NO fiber glassing here.

Drivers floor :mad: .

Passanger floor.

Frame. Not too bad for the year.

The bed is spotless...great shape.

SOOOOO what do you guys think? Salvagable? I have been offered a welder for my birthday, and I have my eyes on a Hobart Handler 187 220v MIG welder for repairing this truck, and making things for my 1988 MJ.

I guess I would ask what is it going to be a SHOW TRUCK or just a trail rig or DD. As far as show truck goes start over with something else. With that said DD and Trail Rig cut the rocker out and weld in some 2x3 tube and call them sliders as far as the floor goes get some sheet metal and put it down and go for it. Just my thoughts

just get a set of front cherokee floor pans (left + right) and cut out the bad stuff, lay them in, fill in anything else that's bad, and if you don't have a welder, rivet them in and caulk them up. if you have a welder, just spot weld them. put new bolts for your seats in and there you go...spend about $200 on floor pans I think and some extra sheet metal...

and do the 2x3 tube on the rockers...that way it'll be tough and DD/trail ready.

20 hours of work and you'll be good :D

Any thing is Salvagable......if you want to put the time and effort into it.

If the frame is not rotted, and the drive train is in good shape, even for the 2.8, them put some time into it and make it a good road machine.

Far as repairing the floors, this is what I did a year ago on a '89 -

9767983_348.ts1176160251000.jpg

9767989_348.ts1176160261000.jpg

I got some galvanized sheet metal, shaped it in place, 3/16" pop rivets, and poly caulk the seams. Welding is the best way, but takes longer, and you can't weld to rusted out metal very well.

Treat the rockers as Rokhound or Pete suggested.

That Hobart 187 is a great welder, I barrow my friend's all the time, But it's a little strong for sheet metal, Great for 1/8 -1/4" steel, and I use my 110V for sheet metal, less burn thru. Gees....I got to buy my own tools and equipment, no one offers to buy me a welder for my birthday :roll:

Get cleaned up, and what, drive it, sell it, your choice[/img]

Well the 2.8 starts faster then ANY of my other Jeeps...I am amazed by it. It does burn LOTS of oil though. The tranny is iffy (according to the previous owner), but it works 99% of the time. I don't want it to be a show truck. I enjoy driving around in it, and want to preserve the truck...even if its not factory quality. I think I'm going to try to save this one. I will need ALL of the help I can get from you guys though.

Sorry JeepcoMJ...I'll be keeping the interior for now 8) :brows:

Twisty, I'm HAPPY that you're saving the truck...so no worries on the interior.

suggestion though....if you upgrade the drivetrain, follow my lead :D I'll help you in ANY way I can, no matter what...just let me know what ya need from me :D