Oil leak question

I have a 94 xj 4.0l in my MJ. I just cranked it after setting in my garage most of the winter. It has a bad oil leak that looks to be coming from the Piece that the oil filter screws into. It has a big torxs screw on the end of it is there a gasket that I can replace or maybe it needs tightening? I don't have a torxs big enough to fit it so I didnt try that yet. Anybody have this leak before if so what was the fix. Thanks

• 6 months later...
There's an O-ring kit you can get from any Mopar dealer to fix that. I think it consists of two O-rings. Not expensive.

I think I have pinpointed my leak to that. Must the oil be drained to perform this repair or just remove the filter? Is there a torque spec on the bolt? Is thread locker recommended?

I just changed my oil the week I got the truck less than a month ago. If I have to drain it, I'll just wait till the next oil change.

How many here have rotated their adapter while changing the o-rings? Thanks!

I have a 94 xj 4.0l in my MJ. I just cranked it after setting in my garage most of the winter. It has a bad oil leak that looks to be coming from the Piece that the oil filter screws into. It has a big torxs screw on the end of it is there a gasket that I can replace or maybe it needs tightening? I don't have a torxs big enough to fit it so I didnt try that yet. Anybody have this leak before if so what was the fix. Thanks

An Allen wrench will turn a torex screw. Just don't over torque it.

do it right or don't do it! if you have to turn it go to sears and get the one you need :bowdown: sears

do it right or don't do it! if you have to turn it go to sears and get the one you need :bowdown: sears

I understand that, I was just pointing that out, it may help someone in a pinch. Sometimes you have to get something done without the time to run to sears, which by the way, I just returned from sears with a fuel pressure gauge. The only question I have is,- Is every product in America made in China?? :mad:

It's hard to buy American when theres nothing made in America, but foreign cars!!!

This country is falling apart; I'm buying more ammo! jamminz.gif

good question.. that DARNED filter is the most annoying thing ever. dumps all over the place every oil change.

is it possible to turn it so the filter is upside down?

good question.. that DARNED filter is the most annoying thing ever. dumps all over the place every oil change.

is it possible to turn it so the filter is upside down?

They make kits to relocate it don't they? could add a cooler too if your going to all that trouble..