10 Pin Connector Behind Headlight

Ive been trying to get my truck ready so i can pass inspection, including e brake and turn signals. My rear turn signals work but my front ones arent. so i did a bit of searching and heard that the flasher is a common problem. Well i replaced that and nope... so i look a little further and hear about a 10 pin connector behind drivers headlight by the airbox and i unplug that and... bingo yep its corroded to all hell

QUEGBNt.jpg

lYqUarg.jpg

some of the posts that go into the connector have fallen out... and well... yeah its not looking good.

now what are my options on fixing this??? can i hard wire em some how? no idea which go to which... could i buy a new 10 pin with plug things to stick on the end of the wire to go into the connector? Its weird because my headlights still work and 1 of my orange side lights still work with that much corrosion

You might be right... i wiped a bit of it off and it looks better.

where are the turn signals grounded??

also my brake lights arent working either.... theres 2 wires that go to the brake pedal, and the blue one is disconnected? i striped it and held it against the metal and pressed the brake pedal and still nothing ughhhh

also what are these connectors for??

8k76XjJ.jpg

Q8rprt8.jpg

their loose under my dash

Fog light switch (4 tabs) and indicator light for it (double wire).

Or cargo light.

Or rear window defrost (XJ only)

Or rear wiper (XJ only)

The connector with 4 tabs should have a label stuck to the the wires a few more inches back.

Oh so nothing important! haha

I sanded down the ground for the turn signals and i got nothing!

could it be the multiswitch? as my wipers baaaaarely work(go really slowly) and the windshield washer fluid does not come out. leading me to believe that its the multiswitch

well I'm not to concerned about em right now, but thats good to know.

id just like to find the problem with the brakes and turn. from research the only thing i can see it being is the multiswitch and then brake light thingamajig thats on the brake pedal??

any other ideas before i head to the parts store?

Fog light switch (4 tabs) and indicator light for it (double wire).

Or cargo light.

Or rear window defrost (XJ only)

Or rear wiper (XJ only)

The connector with 4 tabs should have a label stuck to the the wires a few more inches back.

Okay, I was mistaken. Took a look under my dash as I was working there anyway (brake upgrades underway).

The connector with the 4 tabs is for the headlight sentinel module. If this module (little silver can) is plugged in and you have the correct chime module, it will leave the headlight on for about a minute if you turn the ignition off first, then the headlights.

The little plastic one is for the cruise control cut-off when the brake is depressed. On mine (which does not have cruise), the switch for it is at the very top of the brake pedal. Don't know if all models without cruise have this switch or if mine is an oddball.

I think there is a ground up under one of the tail lights that gives problems and gets corroded easily. Also sockets can look good and be bad my front sockets had separate ground wires stuck in the side of the socket between it and the bulb with it running to the body and yes it does make them work pull it out and no turn signal.

There is a ground by the driver side tail light that covers, among other thing, the fuel pump/sender assembly. If this ground is faulty the fuel gauge will be pegged at way above full no matter what the actual level in the tank is.

awesome thanks for the help guys. I didnt get a chance to look at it today but tomorrow ill break out the multimeter haha

Its a 1990 with 4.0L, ax15 tranny and 8.25 rear axle and dana 35 high pinion up front

Refresh the grounds on the driver's side inner fender. Remove, scrape paint, polish terminals and reinstall tightly. Those 2 or 3 wires are critical for lights and wipers. Stupid sheet metal screw that sometimes isn't tight.

Ever done my ground refreshing and connector refreshing?

Click on the link in my signature below:

awesome thanks for the help guys. I didnt get a chance to look at it today but tomorrow ill break out the multimeter haha

Its a 1990 with 4.0L, ax15 tranny and 8.25 rear axle and dana 35 high pinion up front

The only vehicles using a Dana 35 front axle are the Ford Explorer (and the identical Mazda Navajo), some Ford Rangers and one year only Ford Bronco II. These are all the weird twin traction beam, not quite independent front suspension axles. Incidentally, these are also the same vehicles with an 8.8" rear axle. All our Jeeps use a Dana 30 front axle.

The rear axle should have been a Dana 35, Dana 44 (optional on 87 through 89 only) or an AMC 20 (optional on 86 Metric Tonne package only). If you have a Chrysler 8.25" back there somebody must have swapped it in at some time in the past.

oh might be dana 30.

guy i bought it from swapped axles with a jeep cherokee thats why they are 8.25 axles in the rear.

I already tried sanding down the grounds from the headlight, it amazes me what they let pass as grounds in these trucks honestly...