Stop Your Tailgate From Rattling With Adjustable Bumpers

I ordered a pair of the Mustang hood bumpers from

AmericanMuscle.com

17241 - Adjustable Rubber Hood Bumpers (79-88 All)   $4.99

On mine I added a washer between the bed and the bumper so when I shut the tailgate, there is more pressure on the rubber head.

The nut is hidden from view due to a bad camera angle, but there is a washer and a nut holding it in the OEM hole. I plan to use thread sealant and

then cut off the excess threads with an angle grinder.

$4.99 for the pair plus around $1.50 for shipping, and they were here in 3 days. I recommend these to help with those annoying rattles.

On a side note, I first ordered some CJ/TJ grill to hood bumpers, but they are too thin at the head, so did not touch the tailgate tab when it was closed. Also the rubber nipple that sticks into the OEM hole is too small and would fall out easily. Not a good choice for my truck.

Good thinking.  :cheers:  I'd be doing the same thing but my original rubber tailgate bumpers are still hanging in there. Another thing you can do to quiet down the tailgate linkage rattling inside is to cover them with some 1" ID heat shrink tubing - keeps it real quiet in there. Black and red were the only colors I had on hand at the time.

JjVch5D.jpg

Good thinking.  :cheers:  I'd be doing the same thing but my original rubber tailgate bumpers are still hanging in there. Another thing you can do to quiet down the tailgate linkage rattling inside is to cover them with some 1" ID heat shrink tubing - keeps it real quiet in there. Black and red were the only colors I had on hand at the time.

JjVch5D.jpg

Anyone have info on the wedge in this picture?  Mine are tweaked bad and I havn't been able to locate any to buy.  

Thanks for the tip on the heat shrink! I was thinking I was going to use a plastic dip product on them, but the heat shrink is much easier.

As for the  rubber wedges... I suppose you could cut some out of a chunk of solid rubber using a band saw, but perhaps Urethane plastic would last longer. Kind of like the Prothane products???

I haven't tried searching for new ones, but imagine they are hard to come by.

Thanks for the tip on the heat shrink! I was thinking I was going to use a plastic dip product on them, but the heat shrink is much easier.

As for the  rubber wedges... I suppose you could cut some out of a chunk of solid rubber using a band saw, but perhaps Urethane plastic would last longer. Kind of like the Prothane products???

I haven't tried searching for new ones, but imagine they are hard to come by.

I have - no joy - unobtanium pieces from Mopar. I had an S10, the older square body 1993 and below, and they had what looked exactly like the same wedges IIRC.

Check out lmctruck.com and go to 1982-2004 Chevrolet S10/GMC S15 and Sonoma 1983-2005 Chevrolet S10 Blazer/GMC S15 Jimmy catalog page 12 item number 19

29-1420

TAILGATE BUMPER-BED 2 REQ for $1.95 ea.  or $3.90 for the pair.

shipping is $7.75, so I didn't order them. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

• 1 month later...

Check out lmctruck.com and go to 1982-2004 Chevrolet S10/GMC S15 and Sonoma 1983-2005 Chevrolet S10 Blazer/GMC S15 Jimmy catalog page 12 item number 19

29-1420

TAILGATE BUMPER-BED 2 REQ for $1.95 ea.  or $3.90 for the pair.

shipping is $7.75, so I didn't order them. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

I pulled these off an s10  Not sure of the year.   The smaller one is off the tailgate and maybe usable on the truck side for us.  The s10 bed side one is huge.  They also appear to be solid rubber vs my comanche one has steel in it

Here's some pictures comparing.  I will update with year, I'm thinking it's late 80's or early 90's

Comparison of tail gate side rubbers.  The one attached is the comanche.

9196318976_57bdf2b958_n.jpg9193529775_a8d4912880_n.jpg

Tailgate rubber from s10 vs my bent bed side on comanche 

9193530745_1eb3094eed_n.jpg

Here's both from s10 vs the bedside on on comanche: 

9193532981_e0f6091ef4_n.jpg9196328134_7525be1042_n.jpg

:bowdown: I was going to use adjustable feet from some sort of appliance, but I just purchased these after seeing this haha. 5 bucks saves me from having to go search for some feet that would work. Thanks for sharing. Oh and I got free shipping  :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...