Ambient Temperature Display

Been wanting to accurately read the outside temp on my dash for some time. After taking some measurements and having some familiarity with older W201 and W124 Benz models, found something that will work and look like factory. There are two empty slots only in the 1991 MJ/XJ factory clock that were reserved for "tell-tale" indicators which never materialized in these Jeeps. See Gojeep's site for the 1991 clock details. So happens the 190E LCD temp module fits perfectly in there with minor trimming. So I have a module, under-bumper sensor, and associated wiring harnesses coming. If anyone is interested in this mod I'll document it. Bit more scientific than sticking your head out the window in the winter to see if the roads are icey slick.

Been wanting to accurately read the outside temp on my dash for some time. After taking some measurements and having some familiarity with older W201 and W124 Benz models, found something that will work and look like factory. There are two empty slots only in the 1991 MJ/XJ factory clock that were reserved for "tell-tale" indicators which never materialized in these Jeeps. See Gojeep's site for the 1991 clock details. So happens the 190E LCD temp module fits perfectly in there with minor trimming. So I have a module, under-bumper sensor, and associated wiring harnesses coming. If anyone is interested in this mod I'll document it. Bit more scientific than sticking your head out the window in the winter to see if the roads are icey slick.

Nice work, please do document with prices. I have been looking at this at quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/products/93011_901.htm

their solution kills two birds by helping with the awfull interior lights, with temperature and compass readout.

I really like your innovation for the "come from the factory look". For me that is tough to beat and if the price is less than the $200 clams that quadratec wants I think you got a real winner here.

I was looking at that mirror for a while. Then I discovered you can get the overhead console from a ZJ that has all those functions and then not only get 2 interior lights but 4 and get a couple small storage compartments for sunglasses and garage door openers etc. on top of the fact that it would probably run you about $80 or so for everything (based on prices I have seen).

Tom

PS: I would also be interested in this write-up. Sounds like a slick setup.

i have the factory xj ohc temp/compass that i am workin on puttin in my 91. i also have the xj indicator panel clock he was talkin about. look for both things to be going in this summer and the write ups will be in my projects topic. there is a pic of the indicator he is talkin bout in there now.

Alex

The ZJ overhead console is another outstanding "from the factory look" solution. I loved that console in my old 97 ZJ, but it seemed the ZJ had more headroom. My problem is that I hit my head on the top of the MJ cab with regularity. I am only 5'11'' but I have a longer torso and shorter legs. If i didn't hit my head so much that would be my number one choice, but still please show us a write up. $80 and some work with outstanding functionality and looks beats $200 and labor anyday.

i have the factory xj ohc temp/compass that i am workin on puttin in my 91. i also have the xj indicator panel clock he was talkin about. look for both things to be going in this summer and the write ups will be in my projects topic. there is a pic of the indicator he is talkin bout in there now.

Hey Alex, that's not the 1991 clock I was talking about. What you have is the Sentinel, a rare option and only the second one I've seen. Did this Sentinel clock come w. your 91 MJ?

xjdashsystemsentry.jpg

Here's the common 1991 clock I plan on using for the Benz ambient temp display. The Benz LED module fits well into the bottom panel where I now have some tacky indicator lights mounted. I will use the same lens as the clock to match green clock numerals and move the indicator lights up a row:

Dash%20091_small.jpg

and

Dash%20B93_small.jpg

I also thought about using the XJ overhead console (I have one) but it's too long for the MJ roof and needs to be trimmed.

yea i got sort of mixed up there.

no it did not come with my 91 from the factory, i don't think any mj did. i am going to splice it in and put the sensors in what i can since i will never find another one to take the parts out of that i would need.

and i forgot that the 91 clocks differed from the older clocks, other then being brighter lcd or whatever.

the xj ohc is pretty easy to hook up now that i got into looking at it, found out i was missing the sensor half of the setup. it trims nice and neat back before you get to the spot where the remote sensor would be. makes it about the perfect length for the mj cab, unless you want it to go all the way to the back of the cab.

Alex

the xj ohc is pretty easy to hook up now that i got into looking at it, found out i was missing the sensor half of the setup. it trims nice and neat back before you get to the spot where the remote sensor would be. makes it about the perfect length for the mj cab, unless you want it to go all the way to the back of the cab.

Thanks, I'll relook my XJ console. I know where to get the missing sensor half and the mounting bracket under the headliner. I have also fitted a GM auto-dimming mirror w. two Hologen map side lights, so I'm set for interior light.

I'd love to lay hands on a Sentinel clock module. Like I said, never have seen one in person. Heard it was only provided on some export XJ's. Just curious; how did you luck out and find this jewel? Don

Thanks, I'll relook my XJ console. I know where to get the missing sensor half and the mounting bracket under the headliner. I have also fitted a GM auto-dimming mirror w. two Hologen map side lights, so I'm set for interior light.

I'd love to lay hands on a Sentinel clock module. Like I said, never have seen one in person. Heard it was only provided on some export XJ's. Just curious; how did you luck out and find this jewel? Don

it came out of a waggy xj. but they were only in a few of those still. I'm not sure if i am going to use it or not, with it coming from an older jeep and mine being a 91 it might be tough to do. or more then i want to get into anyways. from what i am running into and seeing in books and stuff.

yea i need to get the sensor half of the ohc and the mounting brackets, but none of the xjs in jys around me have them left in them. :headpop:

Alex

it came out of a waggy xj. but they were only in a few of those still. I'm not sure if i am going to use it or not, with it coming from an older jeep and mine being a 91 it might be tough to do. or more then i want to get into anyways. from what i am running into and seeing in books and stuff.

A Waggy. Should have known with the faux woodgrain bezel. Nah, that sounds like a wiring/sensor nightmare not worth the effort. But I think I'll slide down to the yard tomorrow and remove everything else I need to finish the ohc.

A Waggy. Should have known with the faux woodgrain bezel. Nah, that sounds like a wiring/sensor nightmare not worth the effort. But I think I'll slide down to the yard tomorrow and remove everything else I need to finish the ohc.

if you need wiring diagrams i can send em to you. i have them for a 91 but it has to be better then nothing. plus if you want me to i can get you some pics of how i trimmed my ohc and how it will look once i get it up.

Alex

Thanks Alex. I have the complete set of FSM's for my 91, good to go there. But any pics of the OHC install would be great. You can send via my PM email address. Thanks, Don

oh i see now that yours is a 91 also, stupid me i have seen that idk how many times now. well i don't have it installed yet, waitin on weather, but i have it trimmed and ready to go up as soon as i find a bracket. i will send you some pics in the morning to show how i trimmed it and stuff.

Alex

oh i see now that yours is a 91 also, stupid me i have seen that idk how many times now. well i don't have it installed yet, waitin on weather, but i have it trimmed and ready to go up as soon as i find a bracket. i will send you some pics in the morning to show how i trimmed it and stuff

Thanks. While I'm down to the yard tomorrow, I'll check if there's another XJ there w. the console for your bracket.

Thanks. While I'm down to the yard tomorrow, I'll check if there's another XJ there w. the console for your bracket.

if there is could ya also grab the sensor half of the setup, wiring and all? then just let me know what i owe ya.

just as a heads up - there are two brackets, and to put these in the MJs all you need is the front bracket.

Thanks,

Alex

Roger - will do. If not there, I'll check my other yard. Must be over a hundred XJs and 15 Mjs there.

i wish i was that lucky. there is one yard near me with like 3 MJs but most parts are gone. the other don't even know what i am talking about most the time. and XJs get striped fast here also.

Alex

hey alex, I actually have a driver's side cab corner...I plasma cut it off at the pinch welds and the top one second line up from the bottom...got a passenger side too...

would that take care of my dent i have? there are pics in my project topic.

Alex

Lots of good beds and other MJ body parts there. When/if you need something, ask for Jason, tell him you know Comanche Don from Arab, and he'll jack the price up - :cheers: - only kidding. Their prices are very reasonable.