Poor Boy Air Compressor

Bud777

I was looking for a way to have compressed air for an exhaust jack or for re-inflating tires and I had an crazy idea. Maybe everyone has already been doing this, but I wondered what would happen if i took an air hose and added fittings so that one end could go into a spark plug hole and the other end would fit on the tire or exhaust jack. Then I could run the engine with one cylinder missing and use that as an air compressor. This sounds too simple to work, what do you think?

Hmmmmmm, on second thought, maybe it is not a good idea to pump the tires full of a combustible air/fuel mixture. Other than that, great idea :)

Wouldn't it just be a better and safer idea all around to convert your A/C compressor to an OBA system or buy a 12 VDC compressor and tank?  Either of those two options aren't that expensive, especially compared to the cost of potential damage that can be done to your engine or tires, or you...

Wouldn't it just be a better and safer idea all around to convert your A/C compressor to an OBA system or buy a 12 VDC compressor and tank?  Either of those two options aren't that expensive, especially compared to the cost of potential damage that can be done to your engine or tires, or you...

That's the ticket - 12 VDC compressor!

Slightly off topic, but the older tow behind job compressors used to use a v-8. One bank of cylinders remained untouched and working, the other bank got a new head and air system for the compressor part. Grimmerschmidt actually makes one that is current, or somewhat current.

Rob

The old Willys flathead 134s were sold as air pumps, they used the center two cylinders as the compressor and the engine ran on the outer (#1 & #4) cylinders and it remained balanced enough to run.  They were called the Hesse Hornet.  Hobart also used them as generators.

I think its a plausible idea to run one cylinder temporarily as a pump, but like mentioned above, its easier to convert your AC compressor to an air compressor.....that's what an AC compressor is anyway, just an air pump.  Its a really easy DIY job.

All of those are plausible by the fact that they were low pressure fuel supply.

Using a fuel injected 40PSI system is inadviseable.

Rob, that system you are talking about works great...I've actually worked on one that was used as a pressure pump for an industrial sandblaster. No fuel supply to the bank in question.

Actually, I've built a VW 1600 dual port compressor, using one bank to power the compressor. no fuel supply to that bank...just an adapter to take the intake runner straight to a filter, and check valves for intake stroke were necessary on the spark plug holes.

That's the ticket - 12 VDC compressor!

I have one for my train horn on the XJ.  Eventually I am going to modify it and run a bigger tank for OBA.

Not sure just when it originated but I do know there was adapters for airing up tires by removing a spark plug back in the late forties. Could be purchased at any auto parts store.

still have one in storage --- wooden box and all :yes:

so how would one convert their AC to OBA?  my system has a leak and the compressor is still good. 

so how would one convert their AC to OBA?  my system has a leak and the compressor is still good. 

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=a%2Fc+to+OBA+jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c-oba-conversion-write-up-pics-471962/

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/c-pump-converted-oba-renix-4-0-a-91610/

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053742

There are tons of threads about converting your AC compressor to an air compressor.....after all, that's exactly what an a/c compressor is,,,,its just an air compressor as is any internal combustion engine.

I'm currently using a renix A/C compressor for an onboard air compressor.  This is just the beginning, I'm using an old Rigid 150 psi compressor for the tank which will be mounted under the bed where the spare tire mounts.

8700856376_2064bf6204_m.jpg