How Do You Unhook The Power Steering Lines?

When I pulled the motor from my MJ I bent the power steering hoses trying to unscrew them. How do I get them off? and when I put the motor back in what's the correct way to reattach them? It seemed almost impossible without bending/breaking the metal lines. Thanks.

The metal fittings are ment to spin freely on the tubes, but if they are seized together your only option is a lot of PB Blaster or the like, maybe a little bit of heat, and putting a vise grip on the pipe to hold it still while turning the fitting. Otherwise you are going to do just as you fear and tear a hole into the metal line.

Thanks. Thats what I originally thought but wanted a second opinion. I'm trying to save these lines as I'm trying to get this thing running for as cheap as I can for the time being, which means I don't want to replace parts that don't need it. Thank you.

The screw in connectors need to be straight on.  Any little deflection in angle will futz up the threads.  A crow foot 18 mm wrench with a long extension is the correct tool to remove and replace them. 

If you already "bent" it at the crimp at the fitting you'll likely need a new line.  They're really surprisingly inexpensive and I've had AutoZone lines on mine for years without any problems.   Then make sure you have the correct o-ring.  There are two types on XJ/MJ lines, one fits into the groove and one sticks in at the end...one or the other

Make sure you make yourself enough room to work...remove the air box if you haven't already.

The screw in connectors need to be straight on. An little deflection in angle will futz up the threads. A crow foot 18 mm wrench with a long extension is the correct tool to remove and replace them.

If you already "bent" it at the crimp at the fitting you'll likely need a new line. They're really surprisingly inexpensive and I've had AutoZone lines on mine for years without any problems. Then make sure you have the correct o-ring. There are two types on XJ/MJ lines, one fits into the groove and one sticks in at the end...one or the other

Make sure you make yourself enough room to work...remove the air box if you haven't already.

Thanks man. Actually I have the engine completely out. No radiator or anything. It started to slightly bend so I just stopped and took the whole pump off and bent it back. Ill see about getting a new line.

Don't fool with the power steering hoses. If the high pressure hose bursts, it'll spray power steering fluid (which is essentially ATF) on the exhaust manifold, where it will start an engine room fire.

Not fun.

Don't fool with the power steering hoses. If the high pressure hose bursts, it'll spray power steering fluid (which is essentially ATF) on the exhaust manifold, where it will start an engine room fire.

Not fun.

Engine is not in the truck right now. But I will keep that in mind. I just wanted to know how to get them off for when I reinstall the engine, but thank you.

The way I do it. Soak them good with PB or Liquid Wrench. Just get the nut to move a little bit Now tighten the flare back up. Loosen. tighten, loosen tighten. Just keep working it back and forth. Let the PB work into the joint. Don't rush it. I've removed many a stubborn line this way. with no damage to the line.  Don't get in a rush and push it. Just take it easy and keep working it back and forth.

The way I see it, when they get to the point that the tube is stuck to the nut, it is time to snip them with bolt cutters, put a socket on the nut to take it off and use new lines when putting it back together.

The way I see it, when they get to the point that the tube is stuck to the nut, it is time to snip them with bolt cutters, put a socket on the nut to take it off and use new lines when putting it back together.

This is the preferred way. How ever for some folks coins are tight and any part that can be salvaged and re used is beneficial.