Lowering Options.

A 2" drop is a lot on these trucks. A 2" drop from my 20 year old springs would have put my upper control arms into the oil pan and motor mount. If you look at my build thread (George) you'll see how much work I put into a ~3.5" drop upfront.

These trucks come with tall motors, a compact engine bay, and a beam axle. That's not a good combination when in comes to lowering a vehicle.

Yep, definitely be sure to have SOLID bump stops that halt all up travel before the front axle beam hits the oil pan.

These are MJ 4cyl front coils under a 6cyl engine.  Rear used 2.5" or 3" blocks...... can't recall the size exactly.

I don't want an even drop (yet), I'm going for a rake effect.  so I'll just do the rear lift shocks for now, but as for the zj rear sprigns in front for that drop, while the v6 springs still lower the front end on a 2.5?

yellaheep:  what size tires are on the front of you mj, those look really skinny.

I have the death wobble already comes and goes. this is going to be on the list of things that get done right before I get it aligned (fixing the death wobble is part of that.)  thanks for the heads up on the on that though.

I don't want an even drop (yet), I'm going for a rake effect.  so I'll just do the rear lift shocks for now, but as for the zj rear sprigns in front for that drop, while the v6 springs still lower the front end on a 2.5?

yellaheep:  what size tires are on the front of you mj, those look really skinny.

No, the 2.8 V6 coils won't really net any drop given that the weight difference between the 2.8 and 4.0 isn't much.

Front tires were a 26 or 27 x 4.5x15 .... Can't recall specifically.

ok screw it, I'll just drop the whole thing.  but still me having the 2.5, what coils will give me drop on the front?

Coils off the rear of a ZJ will do exactly what you want.  I seem to recal some trimming of the bumpstop is needed to get the coil over it.

I don't think it's a question of weight, but more of length.  Regardless of exact reason, though, Pat and I did put rear ZJ coils on the front of a 2.5 MJ and it dropped it an initial 1 1/2" and settled closer to 2".

Just make sure you take care of the alignment just as you would after any lift.

Just curious why are you against cutting the spring?

I cut 1.5 rings from my 2wd coils, and from my seat the spring rate feels the same, maybe very slightly stiffer. I put a wet towel on the springs and used a cutoff wheel to cut them so I wouldn't transfer heat into the spring.

Doing this allowed me to lower it gradually until I was happy with the height. It was also free, and I didn't have to source springs from another vehicle.