Well I Did Do It! My Mj Has A Roof Rack Now. Pictures Uploaded

What did i miss? Why make a rack to haul stuff, then put the spare tire right in the middle of it? Rendering the rack useless.

Make a carrier for the spare off the tailgate, or standing up in the bed off to one side. Or even float it off the back of the rack.

The point was to free up real estate in the bed. I tried the "standing up in the bed off to one side" deal and the blind spot was ridiculous. and I didnt want to make a carrier off the tail gate. The trucks main purpose is a beach/ Fishing rig. Where I live on the coast the best fishing is in places that you need 4WD and a light vehicle. Some spots are 22 miles now the beach with no one around and one access on and off the beach ( which is 22 miles away). That spot is mainly a flounder hole in a cut of the bay off the mouth of the river going into the gulf of mexico. Anyway Its a over night fishing trip basically. I have to haul alot of gear down the beach when we go. Generators, coolers, lights, gas, rods and tackle, food, ect.  The last time we went we had to leave the spare cause we didnt have enough room in the bed. So this was my solution and I think it has worked perfectly. And I wanted to do it because I have never seen it done before.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the reason it is in the middle is I was trying to evenly distribute the load. there is a lot of weight on the tallest part of the truck. It absolutely killed the center of gravity ( which I knew it would) so I definably wanted it evenly distributed.

The point was to free up real estate in the bed. The last time we went we had to leave the spare cause we didnt have enough room in the bed.

I have a 31" spare under the bed - plenty of room under there even dual exhausts. A 32" tire should fit under the bed just fine. But I guess you had to do what you had to do because you wanted to. Nothing wrong with that. 

The point was to free up real estate in the bed. The last time we went we had to leave the spare cause we didnt have enough room in the bed.

I have a 31" spare under the bed - plenty of room under there even dual exhausts. A 32" tire should fit under the bed just fine. But I guess you had to do what you had to do because you wanted to. Nothing wrong with that. 

the spare tire carrier under the bed is not there from the previous owner. I have not been able to find one anywhere...