Raptor Liner Or Monsterliner Exterior Of Truck

Like the title says I'm thinking about raptor lining the exterior of my truck. Since 'real' paint jobs cost more money than I have right now. I just don't want to do it and it look like crap. :ack: I was thinking about going with a lightish or medium gray color for the outside and then black for in the cab and in the bed. Has anyone one ever delt with this product? It's got good reviews, I was just wondering if anyone had done it yet here? I used Hurcliner on my Xj and I liked it but it was just too rough.

Product link for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.tptools.com/U-Pol-Raptor-Spray-On-Truck-Bed-Liner-Kit,2600.html

Not to copy but I think I'm going to go with this color (maybe a bit darker) and just swap the clip, finders and mirrors for now. :clapping:

29150-silver-mj1.jpg

Opinions?

Thoughts?

Ideas?

On a seperate topic I was wondering if anyone had used steel tubing for their rockers? I feel like it may look silly on an MJ. I don't know, why I just do.

Thanks,

-Zack

*updated title and fixed my spelling, sorry guys*

I have used the Raptor in the bed of my truck. It is an awesome product. I have some details in my '92 build.

I think it would make for a very lousy paint job. You might be able to make it look decent if you have a good compressor that can continually supply the air needed to run the gun wide open at 70+PSI. This would greatly help make a smoother, consistent, texture. But in the end, you will still have a truck covered in bed liner (I am not a fan of bed liner being used to replace paint). The truck will always be dull and will attract every speck of dirt within a 3 state area.

Why not save a bit more coin and buy a quality HVLP paint gun and spray real paint on your truck?

I used 2x4 box tube for the rockers on my '86. Details can be found in my build thread.

It will eventually start chipping around the edges of the doors and potentially flaking off in those areas.

Is this known for a fact? Because I feel like if it come in the door some it would be a lot harder to get it to flake off

Well like I said I'm not sure if I have the skill to do a DIY real paint job, and I don't have enough money to pay someone. Maybe ill have to do an OD Green rattle can job hahaha

I have used the Raptor in the bed of my truck. It is an awesome product. I have some details in my '92 build.

I think it would make for a very lousy paint job. You might be able to make it look decent if you have a good compressor that can continually supply the air needed to run the gun wide open at 70+PSI. This would greatly help make a smoother, consistent, texture. But in the end, you will still have a truck covered in bed liner (I am not a fan of bed liner being used to replace paint). The truck will always be dull and will attract every speck of dirt within a 3 state area.

Why not save a bit more coin and buy a quality HVLP paint gun and spray real paint on your truck?

I used 2x4 box tube for the rockers on my '86. Details can be found in my build thread.

I don't know why I didnt see this reply earlier, so I guess the bed and cab are a go then. & because I don't think I will save any money doing a real decent paint job, Ive never painted before in my life and when I did my cherokee in Hurcluliner it was pretty darn good, the only downside is how rough it was.  Even though my buddies dads shop has a real paint booth, and guns and stuff I just don't think I can pull it off

Looks like people over on Pirate4x4 are using mosterliner I might look that up some.

l http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tools-supplies/933424-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner.html

I've seen newer 4dr Wranglers done with the Raptor liner and they came out great, there was no chipping or pealing anywhere.  You do need to top coat it with something as any bedliner will fade (I believe Raptor liner sells a top coat).  My '86 is a factory 2 tone and I plan on Raptor lining the lower color on and just spraying the upper color on once all the body work is done.

I've seen newer 4dr Wranglers done with the Raptor liner and they came out great, there was no chipping or pealing anywhere.  You do need to top coat it with something as any bedliner will fade (I believe Raptor liner sells a top coat).  My '86 is a factory 2 tone and I plan on Raptor lining the lower color on and just spraying the upper color on once all the body work is done.

What about monsterliner? That stuff is supposed to be UV resistant

It will eventually start chipping around the edges of the doors and potentially flaking off in those areas.

Is this known for a fact? Because I feel like if it come in the door some it would be a lot harder to get it to flake off

Well like I said I'm not sure if I have the skill to do a DIY real paint job, and I don't have enough money to pay someone. Maybe ill have to do an OD Green rattle can job hahaha

the spray in bed liner i used for my truck is chipped in several places on the tailgate and in the bed. but the rock panels and flares seem to be fine.  

the spray in bed liner i used for my truck is chipped in several places on the tailgate and in the bed. but the rock panels and flares seem to be fine.  

Do you remember what the brand was?

I'm doing mine with monstaliner. It's not rough/sharp and won't fade for a long time.

Thats what Ive been reading, it seems to be a big it with the wrangler owners, inside and out

The UPol Raptor liner is supposed to be UV stable as well ;)

'Tazer15' (a member here on CC) applied the monstaliner to the interior tub of his LJ. I know it was prepped correctly and applied correctly, but it has a much rougher texture than my UPol Raptor in the bed of my MJ. 

I haven't seen a bedline job that looked good in the end.

holds dirt, holds moisture in the cab corners, rust will come from the inside out.

that is a beautiful truck. leave it alone.

Lol the one up there is. Hell Id give my left nut for that baby! But. Mines no where near close to that. It is ugly. And by ugly I mean its Hillary Cliton ugly.

Just ordered up enough U-Pol Raptor to do inside the bed, bumpers, side rails, bed side top plates, roll bar/tire carrier,  bushwackers and the lower body on the cab and bed (basically like I had it layed out with the cheapo rattle can rustoleum stuff before bucky went to paint.) I considered having the bed liner done by LineX but thier quote for my short bed was $ 450.00. I got enough Raptor product (supposedly) to do 2 complete standard size (whatever that means) truck beds.

The total was $ 242.00 delivered. I will keep you posted.

Just ordered up enough U-Pol Raptor to do inside the bed, bumpers, side rails, bed side top plates, roll bar/tire carrier,  bushwackers and the lower body on the cab and bed (basically like I had it layed out with the cheapo rattle can rustoleum stuff before bucky went to paint.) I considered having the bed liner done by LineX but thier quote for my short bed was $ 450.00. I got enough Raptor product (supposedly) to do 2 complete standard size (whatever that means) truck beds.

The total was $ 242.00 delivered. I will keep you posted.

I'm pretty sure standered is 8' but I'm not sure. But I follow your bucky build so I will wait and see.

The only think I like about the mosterliner is I have a small compressor and it runs out of air just using tools so I don't see it doing very well for sraying it.