Transmission Drain Plug Leaking

Teflon tape.  Thread sealer.  An oil pan plug gasket...squishy washer...new bolt.  Seems simple enough. 

:thwak:  

...all in good fun mind you!

I'm thinking you need some self affirmation today. Look in the mirror and repeat over and over:

I'm good enough

I'm smart enough

..and gosh darn it, people like me.

:thumbsup:

I have an annoying very minute drip from the drain plug. I have tightened it as much as I dare to.

What's the best fix?

The best fix is to always use a new washer on the plug. Sometimes the threads on the plug get messed up.

The cool thing about the AW4 is that the pan is tough and the plug is weak.

Teflon tape.  Thread sealer.  An oil pan plug gasket...squishy washer...new bolt.  Seems simple enough. 

:thwak:  

...all in good fun mind you!

I'm thinking you need some self affirmation today. Look in the mirror and repeat over and over:

I'm good enough

I'm smart enough

..and gosh darn it, people like me.

:thumbsup:

Ok, let me explain (read backpedal).

My first thought was teflon tape yes, but anytime I associate oil and sealer or teflon, a red flag goes up for me.  But it was soo early in the morning, and my brain wasn't remembering it's only a manual transmission. So what if a little contamination finds its way inside the case. I did look and saw there was a $3 washer available, but it was something like $7.50 to ship it. So I was thinking maybe, just maybe there was a quick fix I wasn't knowing about.

If the teflon tape will stop the drip, then no problem.

I need a group hug... :peek:

Basically I was searching for some ideas, like I spend so much time doing...alone...in my shop.  I thought that your description of the leak as "very minute" is that it might just be sneaking by thru the threads of a 20+ yr. old tranny.  A little thread sealer (or tape) would likely do the trick.  You don't need to goop it up so much that it"d slip, drip or ooze into the tranny.

I have taken a piece of solder and wrapped it around a bolt under the head until I could make a proper repair repair. Soft copper wire will also work.

Like a homemade helicoil? or do you just put it around the head making a new mating surface?