Setting Up A Dual Boot Pc

HOrnbrod

http://www.cadforum....ID.asp?tip=5299

Install that, Convert all your .skd files into the newer file. And then install Autocad.

Don't have to mess with virtual pc / partions / etc.

Downloaded it, clicked to run, then BLEEP! It won't run under Windows 7. :rant: Thanks anyhow. Damn, I wish that had worked.

What version of AutoSketch? You may be able to download it for free if it's old enough.

Also, USB floppy drives exist. I bought one a few years ago, I believe I paid about $15 for it with 10 NEW floppies.

AutoSketch for Windows, Ver. 2.0

Don #4 is exactly were I am with this, if they do not ask for an XP install and activation key I would go for it, but from what I am reading in the blog on the link I provided it seems that you will be asked for an XP activation key. If you spring for the Windows Professional you won't have to worry. Either way I know you will get your old CAD application to work, but as for the $$ it is anyone's guess. I wish I could be of more help my friend.

They asked...........

Downloaded it, clicked to run, then BLEEP! It won't run under Windows 7. :rant: Thanks anyhow. Damn, I wish that had worked.

Okay. So open it up with a copy of xp, Convert everything & put it on your windows 7 computer with a newer CAD program.

Better then constantly using a Virtual pc.

I know oem OS can be picky but my win 7 ultimate OEM pc was struck by lightning when I was at work, it fried the Mother board. I was able to get a new motherboard and thankfully windows continued to work.

I have used VMware workstation it is awesome but costs a good bit the last time I checks. As a free vm option virtual box works well. It wouldn't hurt to try virtual box with your oem xp.

Another long shot option is to install Linux on a vm and download and install "wine" to run windows programs. This option is free but a may not work.

Sorry Pare Don, Microsoft is out for blood these days after loosing so much of the market share to google and apple. If it isn't too late you might consider upgrading to Windows 7 Professional from the link I provided. Joe

Yep, that sounds like the safest way to go. I'm not sure though that upgrading Win7 Home to Pro will keep all my settings and applications w/o reinstalling everything. Anyone know for sure?

The XP mode in Win 7 is just nice because it can run in the background and let you run XP programs seemlessly in Win7 (theoretically, in my experience it doesn't work for $#!^).

This is my experience, too. It was a good idea on paper, but I was never able to get it to work for programs that would only run on XP. Eventually all of those programs were updated to work with Win 7, though.

Using a virtual machine is a pain and I wouldn't want to work through one. They should really only be used for testing and debugging. A dual boot PC would work, but you're going to run into the same issues of having to reinstall everything. You don't need a second hard drive as you could partition the current one and install WinXP on the newly created partition. I'd have to do some digging and research on how to partition the drive correctly so that you get the dual boot screen upon startup where you can select your OS.

This is a long shot, it might work.

If there is a electronic recycle depot in your area, check and see if they sell old working computers. (cheap)

(the depot in my area does and they install XP on them) and use that for your older software.

If you can get the computer without and OS download on your new computer for free Linux Mint "Lisa xfce 32 bit" and burn it to a disc.

Load it on the old computer, it should set everything up including internet if you have the hardware.

There's a pile software you can then install one of which is WINE.

WINE can sometimes run older MS software. I've run a windows program called Irfranview on it and it worked fairly well.

Hopefully it can run your older MS software.

Just some food for thought.

Yep, that sounds like the safest way to go. I'm not sure though that upgrading Win7 Home to Pro will keep all my settings and applications w/o reinstalling everything. Anyone know for sure?

Don, I used a product to move most of my applications from one computer to another (win 7 to win 8) called laplink with no problems. You can also for $19 more "ghost" an image of your current Windows 7 Home Premium. If you could "ghost your current image" then use the anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Professional you will at least have an image of your old Windows 7 Home.

This is a long shot, it might work.

If there is a electronic recycle depot in your area, check and see if they sell old working computers. (cheap)

(the depot in my area does and they install XP on them) and use that for your older software.

If you can get the computer without and OS download on your new computer for free Linux Mint "Lisa xfce 32 bit" and burn it to a disc.

Load it on the old computer, it should set everything up including internet if you have the hardware.

There's a pile software you can then install one of which is WINE.

WINE can sometimes run older MS software. I've run a windows program called Irfranview on it and it worked fairly well.

Hopefully it can run your older MS software.

Just some food for thought.

Sounds kinda like what I said only I suggested using a vm. But if possible I would do what you suggested... Might be why I tend to hold onto computers..

Talk about hanging onto your old puters. I've still got my first ones. Commodore 64, IBM PC Jr and IBM PS3. Any other hoarders here?

I just tossed my first PC today. Epson 8/12 MHz switchable. Ooooh..the speed.

Does still having a 13 diskette (3.5") version of Excel for Windows count as hoarding?

u6arepez.jpg

I saved my Dad's TRS-80 model 4P he bought back in 83.

I've long forgotten how to get it to do anything beyond booting up though.

I kind of remember some dos commands. I think it was dir to run a directory to list the folders on the drive. dir /p lists them the width of the screen. CD (change directory) to jump around from level to level.... Coming back to you? :eek: