Setting Up A Dual Boot Pc

HOrnbrod

When my old XP desktop smoked I was forced to purchase a new one. I bought a new Dell and it came with the Windows 7 OS pre-installed. Now I can't run some of my old favorite software, like CAD programs that will only run on XP. So I've been toying with setting up a dual boot system so I can use the old stuff. I've read several how-tos online and it seems straightforward enough by setting up another partition for XP, but have held off because, well, I'm nervous about doing it. I have a single 450 GB hard drive so there's plenty of space. Any advice / cautions / etc. on doing this from the gurus?

Id run separate HDs that way if one system crashes, ya don't risk messing up everything. I always run multiple drives for that reason. One is strictly for the OS and a slave for pics, music, programs, etc.

Agree, but unfortunately the new Dell only has provisions for a single HD. Hmm, an external HD might work though. Can this be done?

don't see any reason why not. This is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00426CQA0?tag=assi09-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00426CQA0&adid=0DWTYDAX3B8WPX9KK1D3&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fthetechjournal.com%2Felectronics%2Ftoshiba-canvio%25e2%2584%25a23-0-portable-hard-drives.xhtml Somebody I know gave it to me saying it was a "wireless internet router". I started laughing when I looked at it and realized what it truly was. lol

What version of 7? If you don't have Starter or Home Premium, you should be able to use Win XP mode. This is basically a special virtual machine that lets you run the XP programs in 7.

If you do have one that doesn't support Win XP mode, you can just download an install a virtual machine, and run XP on that.

What version of 7? If you don't have Starter or Home Premium, you should be able to use Win XP mode. This is basically a special virtual machine that lets you run the XP programs in 7.

If you do have one that doesn't support Win XP mode, you can just download an install a virtual machine, and run XP on that.

Thanks Correy, I've discovered this and have been rooting around looking at it, and it would be perfect. Unfortunately I have Home Premium 64 bit, so can't get Win XP mode. And whenever I go to download virtual machine, I get directed to the Win 8 site. :fs1: Still looking for a site to download it from..............

Hello Pare,

For the cost of another hard drive you can upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium (standard from Dell) to Windows 7 Professional for less than $100. Windows 7 Professional will let you configure certain applications to run in XP mode. Keep in mind that XP mode gets complicated when you need your application (in this case CAD) to access certain peripherals like printers, plotters, ETC. I have owned many Dells and like Apple their BIOS or (locked apple OS and IOS) system possibilities are very limited to tweaking for dual boots, CPU clocking ETC. For Appple you have to purchase their software called parallels which requires very robust hardware for an Apple Micorosft dual boot. At my work we are expereimenting with a touted feature in Windows 8 that allows running your windows 8 computer from a USB pen drive on any computer, but I do not believe it would work for your old XP computer.

http://www.evaluesoftware.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1159

Thanks Joe. Ever heard of this product? It's free! http://www.vmlite.co...d=47&Itemid=143

Don,

I have not had any experience with that particular product, but I found the link below interesting concerning licensing issues with VM-lite.

http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/21307-vmlite-alternative-windows-xp-mode-impl.html

If you have an OEM Non system builder copy of XP with the activation keys the above link would be irrelevent to you.

HTH

Joe

Don,

I have not had any experience with that particular product, but I found the link below interesting concerning licensing issues with VM-lite.

http://www.sevenforu...-mode-impl.html

If you have an OEM Non system builder copy of XP with the activation keys the above link would be irrelevent to you.

HTH Joe

:hmm: What is that Joe? Do you mean boot off the CD-ROM drive with a legit copy of XP?

You can still run a virtual machine, get VMware. It's free. Then you can install the XP you have inside the virtual machine, like you would a fresh install on a harddrive. The XP mode in Win 7 is just nice because it can run in the background and let you run XP programs seemlessly in Win7 (theoretically, in my experience it doesn't work for $#!^).

:hmm: What is that Joe? Do you mean boot off the CD-ROM drive with a legit copy of XP?

Hello Don,

It means you will still need to install windows XP on the virtual machine as if you were installing it on a brand new hard drive. Bill Gates wants his $$ so if you go with Windows 7 Professional you will not have to deal with the XP license. I hate this business but everyone has their hand out, including Sun and Larry Ellison with Linux and its applications, and Mr. Jobs with Apple....there are few places to run to as opposed to the old days.

I downloaded VMLite XP Mode software but have not installed it yet. The more I read about it the less I understand it. Here's how it supposed to work as I see it, or more accurately the way I want it to work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Install the VMLite XP Mode software, it sets up a virtual PC that runs on XP.

2. Click on whatever icon it installs, it brings up a window using the XP OS.

3. My old CAD programs are already installed on my hard drive now, so I can hopefully access the application and bring up my drawings.

4. Or do I have to install the XP OS within the VMLite XP Mode software somehow? I do have an XP Pro CD with key.

I'm confused.................. :hmm:

http://www.vmlite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=143

I downloaded VMLite XP Mode software but have not installed it yet. The more I read about it the less I understand it. Here's how it supposed to work as I see it, or more accurately the way I want it to work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Install the VMLite XP Mode software, it sets up a virtual PC that runs on XP.

2. Click on whatever icon it installs, it brings up a window using the XP OS.

3. My old CAD programs are already installed on my hard drive now, so I can hopefully access the application and bring up my drawings.

4. Or do I have to install the XP OS within the VMLite XP Mode software somehow? I do have an XP Pro CD with key.

I'm confused.................. :hmm:

http://www.vmlite.co...d=47&Itemid=143

Don #4 is exactly were I am with this, if they do not ask for an XP install and activation key I would go for it, but from what I am reading in the blog on the link I provided it seems that you will be asked for an XP activation key. If you spring for the Windows Professional you won't have to worry. Either way I know you will get your old CAD application to work, but as for the $$ it is anyone's guess. I wish I could be of more help my friend.

When running a virtual machine, the programs you wish to run in XP must be re-installed within the virtual machine.

That brings up yet another problem. The installation disks for my old CAD program (AutoSketch) are on floppies. And of course I don't have a floppy disk drive anymore on the new PC. And Autosketch is the only program on earth that can read all my architectural files with the file prefix .skd. AutoCad won't even do it. And then if I do install the XP virtual machine, how do I know if it will even open the files? I have 2D drawings going back over 15 years I have to access. What a PITA. It looks like I'm hosed...........

That brings up yet another problem. The installation disks for my old CAD program (AutoSketch) are on floppies. And of course I don't have a floppy disk drive anymore on the new PC. And Autosketch is the only program on earth that can read all my architectural files with the file prefix .skd. AutoCad won't even do it. And then if I do install the XP virtual machine, how do I know if it will even open the files? I have 2D drawings going back over 15 years I have to access. What a PITA. It looks like I'm hosed...........

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=5299

Install that, Convert all your .skd files into the newer file. And then install Autocad.

Don't have to mess with virtual pc / partions / etc.