E-Book Readers

HOrnbrod

I read a lot and am thinking about getting an e-book reader. I'm looking at the Kindle Paperwhite 6" Wi-Fi or the similar Barnes and Noble 6" Wi-Fi. I don't want to browse the internet with it, check email, or have a bunch of advertising. Just want a simple clear reader for mostly night reading. Does anyone have any experience with these and have any recommendations?

I don't have any first hand experience with 'em, but my wife is a huge book worm and lovers her 3G Kindle. It is one of the originals with the screen that looks like print on paper, no email, no internet browser, etc. She can search for and download books on the Amazon store via the Kindle.

Don - my wife and I are avid readers, and I first bought her a Kindle Touch without the "special ads" (that reduces the price by about $30 bucks). I liked it so much she started to complain she never got to use it!. We found the books ( in the E-version) were 10-50 percent cheaper on the Kindle). I then bought the terror-in-law a Kindle Touch with the ads - biggest mistake I ever made, as the ads scroll at the bottom of the screen when you are trying to read.

When my son went off to college we got him a Kindle Fire, as the textbooks were $50-75 dollars less if you got them as E-books, and the color screen was handy for the illustrations. For Christmas my better half will get a Kindle Fire without the ads as well (so I can read in peace!).

My dad has the Nook, but learned recently that Barnes and Noble will be selling the rights to it to a third party to generate revenue (to keep them alive). I don't know if that will shorten thier life or not.

All-in-all, I would highly recommend the Kindle - we've never had a problem, and enjoy them.

Thanks Jake - great review. I'm leaning toward the Kindle Paper-White with Wi-Fi; great reviews on it. I discovered one of my credit cards had some extra reward $$ I didn't even know about, so I'll be ordering it through their rewards store. I'm not sure if I will receive the ad-less version or not, probably not. Do you know if you can purchase an ad-killer software download from Amazon if I get the ad feature?

Don,

Consumer Reports 2013 Buying Guide rates Nook Simple Touch with with Glowlight No.1, followed by Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Keyboard 3G with Special Offers (ads?), Nook Color, and then more Kindles of various types. We bought our granddaughter the Nook Glowlight. She reads a lot and enjoys it. Had not heard about B&N divesting Nook.

BTW - RTR!

You wouldn't happen to know anyone around AL with a decent, reasonably priced tailgate for sale, would you?

Don,

Consumer Reports 2013 Buying Guide rates Nook Simple Touch with with Glowlight No.1, followed by Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Keyboard 3G with Special Offers (ads?), Nook Color, and then more Kindles of various types. We bought our granddaughter the Nook Glowlight. She reads a lot and enjoys it. Had not heard about B&N divesting Nook.

BTW - RTR!

You wouldn't happen to know anyone around AL with a decent, reasonably priced tailgate for sale, would you?

My credit card rewards store only offers two readers; the Kindle PaperWhite and last year's B&N NOOK w/o WiFi. So I'm kind of limited as per selection. :dunno:

Tailgate: Give Jason a call at Complete Auto Recyclers. He's an MJ guy. There were 5-6 MJs in the yard last time I was up there.

http://www.completeautorecyclers.com/

Thanks for the info on Complete Auto. I may just take a ride up that way soon.

I don't use an E-reader (yet). Probably should because I enjoy reading. I'm curious about the title selections available and I need to go on Amazon and B&N sites and see what's out there. Granddaughter specifically asked for the Nook so I didn't do any research on E-readers

I have the basic Kindle w/Wifi and advertisements. The ads don't bother me...they only come on as part of the screensaver. Needed to get a lighted case to be able to read at night but you can't beat the battery life on this thing - that was my main reason for getting it. I don't think I have charged it in over three weeks and I use it fairly regularly.

You'll be more than happy with the Kindle Paperwhite as it will be excellent for nighttime reading.

Thanks all for the posts. I found out on the Amazon Kindle forum that the newer readers in the last couple of years or so have a menu option to "opt out" of the special offer displays; costs $20 though. Before that you had to return them to Amazon for an exchange.

I am unaware of any program that can "kill" the "special offers" (that are really advertisments) on the Kindle for free. I love the thing - read every day and the battery lasts at least 30 days. My father loves his Nook, but I'd research whether there is any truth in the buyout.....I can't find any right now (maybe they called it off?)

Wife & daughter have Kindles - Daughter has a new Fire - Not sure what model the mrs uses/peruses? - Anyway, they love 'em & I've got the amazon.com bills to prove it - - Daughter's in her (Thank You Lord) FINAL semester & then a one yr internship - She also does the text book thing - - - - - - - -Rewards Cards - - The credit card wars are still going - A little diminished but still there - - - Basically most cash back card offers require $500 in purchases during the 1st 3 months you have their card & then the cash bonus is paid - We put everything on our cards except taxes, DMV & electric bill - Doesn't take a month for us to satisfy the minimum use & then that card is no longer used unless there's a 5% special going on - When the 3 mo is up we get the CB bonus then cancel the card & apply for another if we haven't already done so - We also alternate account names - mine, then hers, then mine again & so on - Satisfies the new account thing - This isn't a scam - We're just responding to their offers - - - This year we've received $850 in CBBs, last yr $1150 & $1050 in 2010 IIRC - - 6 new cards are the most we've applied for in a yr & they are/were scattered among BOA, CITI, CAPITAL, CHASE & AMEX - Just whoever's offering the most - - - in 2010 & 11 most CBB offers were $150 with some $200s & one $350 from AMEX - - - - I know this isn't for everyone - - Gotta have good rating & I've heard you can be dinged every time you close an account - A ding that supposedly falls off the next quarter - Dunno - I get our banks free yearly run downs on us & have not seen any evidence of this - - - Anyway it's a little tax free money - considered a rebate - Here's a link that's handy for keeping up with the latest offers JIC you're not getting enough of 'em in the mail.

http://www.creditcards.com/cash-back.php

:thumbsup: