Catalytic Converter / Exhaust Systems

1989 Pioneer, long bed, 4x4

I have done a lot of work recently on my baby, as some of you know. Now that the major project is done (thank goodness) I can work on the more minor things.

My exhaust system is shot. Everything except that header needs replaced. Theres holes everywhere. I noticed that there is no catalytic converter anywhere on this thing. Surely it came with one, but it doesnt appear that anything has been cut out or anything. I just moved to Texas and don't know the emissions laws. I do know they don't test emssions for the state inspections. What I would like to know, when I replace the pipes, should I add in a cat? Will it make my truck run any different? And while I'm at it, what is a good deep sounding muffler to use. I want it to sound beefy, but not obnoxious.

Basicly, give me some ideas for the complete exhaust system.

I don't know what Texas requires, but all XJs and MJs had catalytic converters. If you are doing a complete exhaust, I would install a cat.

As to the best sound, IMHO the only aftermarket exhaust system for the Jeep I-6 engine that doesn't sound like crap is Gibson.

I'm running the black jack headers, straight pipe to a flowmaster delta 40. It is very quite in the cab compared to my brother's xj running a flowmaster 40 also straight pipe. Sounds plenty deep. at about 4k-5k it can get a little race-carish, but when I've got it up that high it's understandable.

The delta 40 is supposed to have the same performance curve as a regular 40, but less dB, and deeper. I have heard the gibson and do enjoy it's sound, however it was not on an inline 6 so ???? The guy at the muffler shop said my delta 40 made the I6 sound like a v8. I don't know about that.

I use a flowmaster 50 series. It has an extra chamber so not as loud as a 40, but still has a deep mellow tone, and a nice growl under load. Mine got slightly louder after running it for a while, but nowhere near being obnoxious to anyone. My 2 cents. As for a cat. Most states that have safety only inspections,also check for whats called Tampering. It doesnt go through an emmissions inspection, but is still required to have all original emmissions equipment as installed from the factry. You may want to check into that.

I personally like the flow master 40 series on a stock cat. It is pretty deep. Not too loud. If you do turn downs, it's much louder.

this. i have the super 40 (not 40 series) with a stock cat and turndown. it doesnt drone or sound like a fart can. its not overly loud and has a good solid tone. probably sound just as good with a full exhaust behind too

Well, I past the Texas state inspection... don't really know how. I am all taged in Texas now. I guess that's good because it gives me time to do the exhaust right. My Kansas tag was due this month.

Anyone like the magnaflow mufflers? I priced the front pipe, the cat, a magnaflow, and the rear pipe with my employee discount (Oreill'y) its all like $150.00! Not bad at all!