rear leaf springs

i was on the frame rail next to the bump stop, about the middle of the bump stop, as straight up and down as possible. on the mj it looks much higher than the xj. i want to keep the mj no higher than 3.5 in lift, if possible. center of gravity and all that. i like high desert running and i found with the xj,. it drove very well out there. i'm an old road racer so my thinking goes along those lines. with 33 in tires i can handle the baja 1000, since i like prerunning it. i know what works for me anyway. :D

Roger that, I agree with your desired maximum lift. If I'm reading your posts correctly, your MJ has the rear SOA, but you bought it like that? 3.3"-3.7" is approx. correct for a SOA lift, a bit low, but that is probably because of your leaf spring condition. How many leafs in your spring packs, 4 or 5? Also, how does the rear level up with the front? The stock height of the rear is about 1"-1-1/2" higher (according to my FSM) than the front. Good way to check this is the measurement from the center of the wheel cap to the flare bottoms.

there are four leafs in the spring. posted pics on new topic. you can see the front is low. deaver makes his springs 4 " in rear 5.5 " in front. he says it levels it up, if i can find a 57" eye to eye soft spring. if its on the shelf much cheaper. custom made is $900.00 list. poly performance are good guys to deal with, so when my ducks are in a row i"ll buy from them. was going deavers front and rear, but deaver in back and 2.5 [res] fox in front. haven't decided height or single or double spring. i need to decide ride height and than remove coils and cycle the front to see about binding. i'm going to put the coilover where the shock goes,[reinforcing where needed], and put a bump stop where the coil went.

works for jeepspeed. i won't spend near the money they do. i can get it all for about $2000.00, instead of $5000.00. no jumping allowed on this rig.

front dana 44- front high pinion, 31 " moser axle ,dodge truck brakes

rear dana 44- scout, 31 " moser axle ,detroit locker, 4.09 front and rear

changing lots of things for reliability. you know-- welding the x brace etc. :popcorn:

he says it levels it up, if i can find a 57" eye to eye soft spring. if its on the shelf much cheaper. custom made is $900.00 list.

Ouch! Looks good, but I can see your point in the rear. Assume you are running stock MJ shackles on the rear? Swapping out your MJ shackles with stock XJ shackles will drop the rear about an inch - cheap fix. They can be had for about $15 shipped from Crown. I used them for awhile when I put in the 5-leaf Metric Ton springs to lower the @$$ end a bit. Otherwise give Joe a call at General Spring here:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/

He may have some soft MJ rear 4-leafs at a better price. Good guy to deal with.

thanks. i have heavy duty shackles that are about 3/8 of a inch longer, hole to hole. they are about 1/8 " thicker than the stock ones. if you look at the dakar rally trucks their springs are about flat, with 10 to 18 leaves. hard to count at 100 mph, on tv, deavers springs for xj is 12 to 15 leaves, and he said ,if custom made, for mine, 15 to 18 leaves. still thinking

question:

the rear springs on one of my comanches is cracked..the 2nd one up from the bottom i think. I have a 3rd leaf (up from the bottom) from a comanche. what i want to do is replace that 2nd leaf with the 3rd leaf. can i do that? do i need to cut it? I'm looking to get some lift from it so i'm not too worried about cutting it, i just wanted to know if i can put it in?

My experience with the MJ leafs is that the second from the bottom is what provides much of the lift. I'd bet your truck will sag some and no longer match the other side if you replace it with the next one up. But since there's no way to tell what shape everything is in, the only way to know is to try. Also, that second from the bottom has the leaf alignment thingies in it.

Even though I can't see Pete's picture i remember My bastard pack deal and that was the one with the most arch without weight on it. I would consider if i were you finding a leaf pack with thinner and more arched leaves and throw a few of them in the mix. Pete has also made packs from several diff ones so he could give you some great donors. As i had the springs laying around and didn't know what they came off of. Hope you get her fixed

Cole

Unfortunately I don't have extras of what he needs. :(

Have you tried car-part.com ? Midwest Auto Recycling in Cudahy (1-800-419-1990) Seems to have some and they aren't that far from Burlington.

• 4 weeks later...

so did we decide an explorer rear leaf pack used intact without swapping any of my leafs over would drop the truck around 1"?

cause i need new tires and don't feel like buying a new set then lifting it in 6 months and buying a new set again, so I'm gonna buy 32's so that i can do a halfassed lift to run those, then lift it more the way i want to later and still run the same tire. looking to be at about 4" in the back, but I'm also throwin in a D44 which will have thicker tubes and lift it slightly.

so the question is, how much lower do explorer leafs sit than comanche leafs?