rear leaf springs

i just lifted the front of my 88 mj 12 inchs the back is at 9inchs I'm wondering if anyone knows were i can get new springs for the back that would fit in the stock locations or what springs would work with slight mods??

i just lifted the front of my 88 mj 12 inchs the back is at 9inchs I'm wondering if anyone knows were i can get new springs for the back that would fit in the stock locations or what springs would work with slight mods??

Rusty has 4" spring packs and I think it's EPCO who makes metric ton springs that hornbrod tried, and they lifted him a couple inches.

Chevy 63" springs from an '88-'98 pick-up would work if you built a new front spring hanger, but I'm not sure if they'd give any lift, however '88-'98 Chevy lift leaves with a new front hanger would work.

How are you measuring your 12 inches? From the upper rim lip to the bottom of the stock fender flare? You can't mean you have a 12" lift on the front, can you??

the lift includes 8in skyjacker coils 2in space block and 2in from the dana 44 axle out of a early ford bronco (kept the stock bronco arms). don't know if it is really 12in but the back sags. the back has stock springs 3in addaleaf and a 2in shackle with a spring over.

the lift includes 8in skyjacker coils 2in space block and 2in from the dana 44 axle out of a early ford bronco (kept the stock bronco arms). don't know if it is really 12in but the back sags. the back has stock springs 3in addaleaf and a 2in shackle with a spring over.

Sounds like you have done everything in the rear w. the SOA and AAL. Your rear springs are probably shot/sagged out. New Metric Ton spring packs will net you 2" by themselves, but most likely your best bet is the Rusty's 4" new MJ rear leafs. Have not tried, but some are posting good results and a decent ride. Some pics would be nice. What is the actual measurements from the axle centers to the bottom of the flares front and rear?

Damn! I'm 19.5" in front and 20.5" in the rear w. a modest 2.5" - 3" lift from stock. Are you measuring from the center of the wheel center cap to the lower edge of the flare? If so, I sure would like to see a pic of your rig. What size tires do you have?

thats from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare. the tires on it are 33 for now but soon will have 38 tsl.

FYI, measuring from the center of the hub, eliminates tire size as an issue in height. The measurement is pure lift when compaired to known numbers of stock MJ's.

I seconde it...Nothing personal BUT.....

:needpics:

CW

FYI, measuring from the center of the hub, eliminates tire size as an issue in height. The measurement is pure lift when compaired to known numbers of stock MJ's

Roger that. Alcan makes great quality springs, but for big $$. Last time I talked to Charles, a pair of lifted MJ springs was about $20 + shipping. With the rear almost 5" lower than the front, a pair of Rusty's 4" MJ lift springs shound level you out for lower $$. And yes, some pics would be nice.......

Last time I talked to Charles, a pair of lifted MJ springs was about $20 + shipping.

Oops, typo, meant $420 plus shipping. :cry:

Considering what you get, it doesn't seem that bad. They're one of a kind springs made to compensate for that steel license plate frame you use instead of plastic.

Last time I talked to Charles, a pair of lifted MJ springs was about $20 + shipping.

Oops, typo, meant $420 plus shipping. :cry:

Considering what you get, it doesn't seem that bad. They're one of a kind springs made to compensate for that steel license plate frame you use instead of plastic.

i... don't get it... :nuts: steel license plate frames, alcans? whats the connection?

No probs Kassidy - just trying to figure out what you meant. Alcan is a super outfit, and I spent a lot of time with Charles trying to figure out the exact weight I carried and amount of lift I was wanting with the new packs. But I opted to go with original 5-leaf Mopar/AMC Metric Ton designed springs for considerable less $$, and I'm very satisfied with this decision. I do not mind spending money to do things the right way after researching all options, and do not take shortcuts, like bastard leaf packs or AAL's. And this applies to everything IMHO; brakes, engines, etc. But you are right, Alcan is a high quality supplier, with super customer service and products.

My apologies. I meant they're tuned to precise specifications taking into account each pound of weight you carry around.

It was awkward to type originally, I figured it'd be awkward to read, sorry.

i figured that out right before i read this post haha. i was like, OH made to account for the steel we throw on our trucks in place of plastic.

GOTCHA. jamminz.gif back on the same page here :brows:

alcans are worth it, but i still wouldnt pay it if i had the option.

so reading the posts if i have 24.25 in from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare, i have a 7 1/4 in lift in the rear? bought with lift on truck.

Measure from the top of the rear axle tube to the underside of the frame rail just inboard of the bump stop. For 4WD models this distance should be 9.2 inches, plus or minus 1/2". (For 2WD models the dimension is 8.2" plus/minus 1/2"). However higher your measurement is the lift on your rig, regardless of tire size.

measured this morning. distance was 12 1/2 in approx from middle of bump stop just inboard to top of axle tube. so 3.3 to 3.7 lift. but i have a 3.5 in lift on my xj and the distance is up to 2.5 in above on my mj. same wheel and tire comp. i believe i was told at time of purchase it was a 6 in lift, and it looks it. will post a pic , once i compack them. i have a soa on the mj. unknown spring, maybe re? thanks

measured this morning. distance was 12 1/2 in approx from middle of bump stop just inboard to top of axle tube.

The measurement is taken from the top of the axle straight up to the frame rail, not to the middle of the bump stop. Did you include the length of the bump stop in the measurement? If so, add the length of the nump stop for your lift.