MJ Dana 44 for sale on CL

jeepdoggydogB

The AMC 20 has basicly two faults.

1) Most use a two piece axle shaft. (MJ models do NOT) This is not really as major as most make it out to be. It all falls back on mainaince. Remember, CHECK YOUR NUTS, :eek: and you will never have a problem with two piece axles!!

2) Weak housing. Not any weaker than the D35 or XJ D44 really. Just not as strong as it could be.

As far as its guts, they are very stout. Only avalible in the MJ in the earliest years in the one ton versions.

CW

Ah yes the AMC 20, the pumpkin didn't look totally round to me (at first glance) it looked more elliptical. From what I have read the AMC 20 for an MJ is quite the tough axle, if this is a moving sale I am sure the seller would be motivated to take less. There aren't a whole lot of MJ lovers out this way that I know of (just me and fiatslug) if I was a betting man I would say not many out here appreciate the value of that axle (if any). :D

My AMC-20 has 4.10 gears so that one might too. :D

From what I have read about the MJ 20 i'd be all over that axle if I didn't already have a 44. It looks to be about as bolt on as you can get upgrading from a 35. I would imagine tweaking the ebrake and a little brake cable re-routing would get someone a stronger axle. I think with a small or no lift the drive shaft might even bolt up. What do folks think it is worth?

If it was in perfect condition and needed nothing, I might consider $300. But I've gotten great condition 8.8 axles with disks/4.10s for under $200. Depends on prices in that part of the country.

If it was in perfect condition and needed nothing, I might consider $300. But I've gotten great condition 8.8 axles with disks/4.10s for under $200. Depends on prices in that part of the country.

Thanks Pete, $300 for one being nearly perfect sounds right to me, but since there isn't much of an MJ market out here it is hard to figure this market. :cheers:

forgive me, but what's so good about the amc 20? or is it just that it's rare?

the AMC equivalent of the D44. Pretty ballsy axle.

And drop out thirds are nice for gear swaps.

They don't have drop out thirds.

forgive me, but what's so good about the amc 20? or is it just that it's rare?

the AMC equivalent of the D44. Pretty ballsy axle.

And drop out thirds are nice for gear swaps.

They don't have drop out thirds.

Yeah, don't know what I was thinking. :oops:

Think I saw a 9" in my mind for some reason.