4.0 Ho Intake On Renix Block

Not so recently I got a good deal on a Banks revolver header for a 4.0 liter ...make a long story short it is for an HO era 4.0 liter and though it will fit the renix head no problem, it will not allow the renix intake to mount. I swore profusely and loud then ordered and installed the pacesetter header and drove off for the summer having a new exhaust system bent and installed new magnaflow muffler flowmaster cat etc etc..............grumbly with the banks header still in a box in the shed. Now for whatever reason I have developed an exhaust leak that after checking and tightening everything I can get at is still persistent (read annoying and loud). I have also stashed in the shed a new hesco larger bore throttle body, a high dollar cold air intake and throttle body riser (AFE? I can't remember), all the linkage from a 99 cherokee sport at the pick and pull. a new set of mustang fuel injectors ( seem to remenber that they are 24 lb ?).

Question.... If I go score an HO intake manifold from the pick and pull, what other items do I need to upgrade change modify? to add the banks header and associated goodies.

TPS? wiring harness (engine bay and /or dash) computer....

I want to get this done before winter sets in as I have no garage (and got rid of my spare car)

Thanks for the help suggestions opinions etc.

Bob in Denver

You'll need the associated sensors on the TB, wiring for at least the engine bay and possibly the dash wiring harness and other misc. stuff unless you want to trace and splice the HO harness with the chassis harness, computer, power steering pump mounts differently, MAP sensor I think, thermostat housing unless you want to lengthen the CTS wiring, and a whole host of other stuff to "do it right"... if it were me, I would be on the hunt for a wrecked donor rig and plan on having the truck down and out for a while to get it done properly. They changed a lot of stuff going from RENIX to HO.

If it were me, I would want to do this project right and not half-@$$ it, since having an HO MJ would be pretty sweet since they're kind of hard to find from the factory. I would fix the exhaust leak now, and start the hunt for a donor rig to do a clean, factory-like swap IMO.

Also, the HO alternator (nippon-denso instead of the internally regulated delco-remy on RENIX) is regulated by the PCM, so you might have issues there too, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: the fuel rail connectors are also different, in addition to both the feed and return being at the front of the HO and the RENIX has one on front and one on back, so some modification there will also be necessary.

My 88 has been running great for 6 months the exhaust leak is a new issue.

I may have found a good donor cantidate .91 comanche sport 2 wheel drive with the 2.5 liter 4 banger.

Cheap cheap due to title problems. will the harness and computer work with my 4 liter?

It is a short bed and I know I can get at least 400 bux worth of great parts off her.

My 88 has been running great for 6 months the exhaust leak is a new issue.

I may have found a good donor cantidate .91 comanche sport 2 wheel drive with the 2.5 liter 4 banger.

Cheap cheap due to title problems. will the harness and computer work with my 4 liter?

It is a short bed and I know I can get at least 400 bux worth of great parts off her.

Computer and harness will not work with a 4.0.

No, the computer and harness for a 2.5 will not work (among other things that will not work). To seriously do this, you need a 4.0 donor. And you need to swap a lot of stuff over. It's not just a plug and play type deal.

[EDIT]: And by donor rig, I mean an HO 4.0 Cherokee. Most everything will swap, you will have to lengthen the fuel pump wiring I think, and do some work on the tail light wiring and cab wiring if you swap the dash harness, which IMO is the best way to go.

You could just put on an HO head with the HO manifolds and run the renix system.

There are plenty of write ups on how to do the swap.

Except the Renix TPS works opposite of an HO and you need to make an adapter or buy a $180 one from Hesco.

here you go. ..

step 1: buy HO head, preferably 7120 cast

step 2: unbolt Renix head

step 3: bolt on HO head

done.

thats all that is neccessary for the head part of the swap. ALL 4.0 heads are 100% bolt-on-able, albeit there are other things you will need to make it work as a whole.

However, I am pretty sure the Renix intake/exhaust manifold will NOT bolt back on like it did. You may be able to reuse with some fabrication, but why would you?

hope it helps, ftpiercecracker

EDIT: I did a writeup for adapting the Renix TPS to the HO throttle body. Cost me a grand total of $1.01

Renix exhaust to HO and the other way are interchangeable at the head. At the downpipe is where some adaptation is requires.

I wouldn't bother with a 99+ intake anyway, but it should bolt on using the HO gasket in that case. You use the gasket for the intake manifold you're using, not the head you're using.

When you say there needs to be adaption at the down pipe, i assume you mean if you are going from an HO header to a Renix exhaust or vise versa right?

I have both a Renix and a HO header, but my truck is Renix. So for easy of installation I should just stick with the Renix header right? It would save me from having to add an O2 bung.

Ya, but but but i already have the renix header :cry: , if i use the HO header i will have to weld in TWO O2 bungs (1 for stock, 1 for wideban) and adapt it to the rest of the exhaust system.

Why do you need another O2 bung for wideban (sic)? You planning on converting to an OBDII system? Unless you are you only need one O2 sensor bung on the header.

Ya, but but but i already have the renix header :cry: , if i use the HO header i will have to weld in TWO O2 bungs (1 for stock, 1 for wideban) and adapt it to the rest of the exhaust system.

That's easier if you already have the Renix header then.