CB antennas

Hey can anyone suggest some good CB antennas? I have a midland 40 channel with all the options etc to put in my DD comanche. I want to put a window-mount antenna on this one, but I will still need to know about bigger whip antennas for my other MJ.

thanks

I've got a k-40 on a mirror mount thats attached to the hood.

It's in a good spot to keep an eye on it, the steel whip won't break like a glass antenna, and if it get's realy hairy I can reach out the window and take it off the mount without getting out of the truck.

thanks guys, that's what i needed to know...I've never messed with CB's before which is ironic since I have 3 brand new ones in the box here...

a Midland 40 channel,

a Cobra 25LTD Classic 40 channel complete with seperate squelch,

and a hygain something or another 40 channel

the midland is a small newer unit and i'm putting that in the headliner like a center console on my DD...really no point but I have it and i can talk to the truckers :P that one's gettin a window-mount small antenna on it, then the others are goin on my offroader and my brother's respectively.

• 3 weeks later...

that window mount won't talk across the street

cb antenas work off their ground

u want somthing mounted solid or a good magnet mount (K40 or wilson)

and u want it as close to the center of your mj as posible (center of roof)

i run a cobra 19 stock on a road king mic in the semi and run a littile willy wilson atena and can talk for 8 miles i know of

My uncle the truck mechanic agrees that it is very important to have a good ground at the mounting point. he also reccomends that you find a good cb/radio shop in your area and spend the 25 to 40 to have them test and tweak your output range. He says you can have 1k worth of equip and can't talk two miles or vice versa 50 bucks equip properply tuned can reach hundreds of miles. So find a shop that really knows what they are doing (ask around) so that your not stuck 3 miles in on the trail and can't reach help when you have an emergency. (ok I gotta quit teaching red cross lifeguarding classes I'm starting to sound like a public safety announcment) but it's better to be prepared with working equipment than a bunch of junk that just takes up space in the truck.

my cheap @$$ midland cb and k40 combo reach about 25 miles.

I've found that a cheap radio and good antenna can outperform a good radio with a cheap antenna. So if you're gonna save money, do it at the radio, buy a really good antenna.

25 miles is quite a reach for any CB, unless your chassis has been modded, but the first CB I had in the '88 Cherokee was an old Radio Shack compact model hooked up to a Radio Shack steel, gutter-mount antenna and is moderately flat terrain that would bet out a verified 13 miles on the Intertstate. That's probably about all you should hope for unless you decide to run an illegal "kicker."

I've also had decent performance using a 2-foot steel magnetic mount that sits in the middle of the roof. Come to think of it, I'm now on my fourth CB and I've never used an honest-to-God fixed antenna. But I agree 100% on the glass mount types. One of the guys in my chapter of NAXJA tried one, and with him approaching in the opposite direction on a 6-lane (3 each way) Interstate, I couldn't receive him even when we could see each other and make hand signals. Save your $$$$$.

My uncle the truck mechanic agrees that it is very important to have a good ground at the mounting point. he also reccomends that you find a good cb/radio shop in your area and spend the 25 to 40 to have them test and tweak your output range. He says you can have 1k worth of equip and can't talk two miles or vice versa 50 bucks equip properply tuned can reach hundreds of miles. So find a shop that really knows what they are doing (ask around) so that your not stuck 3 miles in on the trail and can't reach help when you have an emergency. (ok I gotta quit teaching red cross lifeguarding classes I'm starting to sound like a public safety announcment) but it's better to be prepared with working equipment than a bunch of junk that just takes up space in the truck.

ah, we have an LGI in the group. duner, that's my next certification...i've been offered a job as an aquatics director :D gotta love all the Red cross updates this year. 30:2 across the board..except child and infant 2-rescuer :D

25 miles is quite a reach for any CB, unless your chassis has been modded, but the first CB I had in the '88 Cherokee was an old Radio Shack compact model hooked up to a Radio Shack steel, gutter-mount antenna and is moderately flat terrain that would bet out a verified 13 miles on the Intertstate. That's probably about all you should hope for unless you decide to run an illegal "kicker."

I've also had decent performance using a 2-foot steel magnetic mount that sits in the middle of the roof. Come to think of it, I'm now on my fourth CB and I've never used an honest-to-God fixed antenna. But I agree 100% on the glass mount types. One of the guys in my chapter of NAXJA tried one, and with him approaching in the opposite direction on a 6-lane (3 each way) Interstate, I couldn't receive him even when we could see each other and make hand signals. Save your $$$$$.

I shall clarify, I can hear about 25 miles down the interstate, I've not verified how far the transmit is, but likely in the 8-10 range.

Receiving isn't the problem. Even the glass mounts will receive. Getting decent tranmission is the problem. Legally, all CBs are limited to 5 watts output, so having a good antenna really can make a difference.

Depending on intended use, different types of antennas have advantages and disadvantages. My Radio Shack gutter mount, for example, worked great on pavement but on trails (in PA and New England) it was constantly getting whacked by low-hanging tree branches. A fiberglass whip, like a Firestick (which, BTW, is an excellent brand) wasn't the answer, because tree branches break those. I ended up buying a 6" or 8" magnetic mount "rubber ducky" antenna that I stick on the roof for trail use. It's short enough that most trees don't hit it, and flexy enough that unless it gets hit near the base it doesn't get knocked off. Range is reduced compared to steel whips, but is adequate to get from me to the other guys in my group on a trail ride.

Several people I know use a 'Z' shaped bracket off the inner fender and mount a 2-foot steel whip on the left fender near the 'A' pillar, sort of a mirror image of the factory radio antenna. This gets them a good antenna and it's low enough to clear a lot of obstacles. Add a spring base and it's a good setup. Radio Shack used to sell the bracket, but I haven't checked in a number of years so they may have dropped it.

i'm really just looking for something to put on a daily driver...i really don't know why i want to, except that i have a cb already. and i want to keep it looking more stock w/o a great huge antenna sticking up.

lol, i guess i kinda pride myself in my truck...it looks like a verrrry nice workman's truck and i'm staying away from turning it into a kid's type truck. the other one i'm sure i'll put a huge whip on, but not this one.

A 9' whip is a quarter-wave antenna. The most efficient and simple antenna. Just 9' of radiating element and a mount.

Anything physically shorter requires some serious design work to work effectively. If you go with a shorter antenna, realize that it is a compromise. They can still work really well, just get a good one. Wilson and K40 are very popular and they both offer different designs.

Avoid that glass mount antenna! Garbage!

HAVE THE ANTENNA TUNED! This is VERY important. Transmiting antennas MUST be properly tuned and the only way to do that is with an SWR meter. Pretty much any CB or Ham shop can do that for you for a nominal fee.

I have K-40 and Wilson hf antennas and am happy with their performance. I have both, fiberglass and base loaded whip Wilsons. I haven't seen or used antennas that are a better value. Larsen makes excellent antennas and I used them for my 2 meter Ham radio but have not used anything for the lower frequencies and they are more costly. I would guess all their antennas are of superior design and quality, just like their VHF antennas.

In short, avoid the glass mount, get a good antenna and have it tuned.

I just got a unidin pc68 elite today at a local CB store. The guy in there sold me a noise canncling mic and a Wilson Little Wil magnetic antenna.

Anyone ever had the problem of there magnet antenna walking off while your in a store? Also what do you guys think is the best way to get it's cord into the cab? Down around thogh the firewall?

I have had one magmount antenna cut and taken (I have had several over the years, only one taken). I advise against them for only that reason. I have never had one fall over while driving and they have always worked fine.

Can't help with the coax routing, sorry.