Most prefured clutch?

Luk, sachs, exedy, all will work great as factory replacements.

If you want to step up a bit cause of your driving, then yeah a stage 1 would prob work from either spec or centerforce.

I don't think youd need much more for daily driving and standard wheeling. Id rather my clutch slip than snap axles or transfer case parts or drivelines.

So ill prob always run a stock clutch. Even when i go to 33s. Thats what 4L is for. hehehe.

I use rockauto.com for all my parts too. Prices are great.

what about for a stroker on 35s??? 8)

I mean, if your towing and or mudding alot at high RPM/high wheel speeds, then yeah your gonna need something that can stay coupled under high stress.

But if your crawling and always in a high reduction gear.... then youll probably not need more than stock/stage 1 at the most. :)

There is no reason to put a Centerforce clutch in an XJ or MJ, and several NAXJA members who did so later posted that they regretted the decision.

The Centerforce clutch is a performance clutch. It is designed to generate high clamping force AT HIGH ENGINE RPM while requiring moderate peddle pressure to engage in normal driving. Considering that a street MJ, especially on big tires, will rarely see higher than 2500 or maybe 3000 RPM, you won't even get into the RPM range where the Centerforce starts to increase the clamping pressure.

So why waste the money. Go with the Luks. It was good enough for the factory. The clutch on my original '88 XJ pasted over 200,000 miles, and that included wheeling all over the northeast. When the internal slave/release bearing went bad, I replaced everything just because it was accessible. I asked my friend the retired Jeep service manager (and former stock car racer) what clutch I should use. His response was classic: "How many miles did the factory clutch last?"

Good enough for me.

Funny story about clutch. I was out mudding one evening with a buddy riding shotgun. We got down into a trench deal that snaked around for about 100yds out in the woods. It was full of water and mud and people in much bigger trucks had walloed it out REALLY bad in the past months. Anyway, towards the end of the run there was a particuarly deep hole and we werent sure if we could make it, but decided to try it. I was letting my friend who thinks hes the best standard trans driver in the world :nuts: have a turn at the wheel. About half way, creeping through, we started to bog down, not wanting to stall it out, my friend started slipping the clutch. . . . a little to much. Long story short after a few moments white clutch smoke started POURING out from underneath my truck and i could smell it burning. Even after making what could have passed as a smoke signal in clutch smoke we were able to back out of the hole, climb up and out of the ditch, and carry on our way. Even after torcher such as this i have NEVER had a problem with my clutch, pretty sure its factory. 176,000 miles on the clock

Luk gold clutch for the win. The clutch I have in my 98 XJ has 175k on it.

It has, towed an 82 vw camper bus from Knoxville TN to Winsted CT. 4300 lbs plus dolly.

Not recommended.

Towed an 89 MJ from Dale City VA to CT.

It was also subjected to 50k of second gear starts because the old tranny

wouldn't stay in first gear.

The clutch it replaced was a centerforce with a 100k on it that the

po installed at 115k so I think he was harder on clutches than we are.

The clutch still works great enough that I left it in when I changed transmissions.

I'll keep running it until it starts slipping.

Oh, it came out of a wreck that the guy I got it from said it had 1,000 miles on it.