front park lights not working... with a twist

89 4.0 mj, cluster is out of a 89 xj, column is out of same 89 xj...

The front dual filament bulbs don't light up, but the front side markers do. I tested the bulbs, they are fine and the sockets look good. When I turn the park lights on, both turn signal indicators light up solid. If I have the key off, and click either turn signal on, the indicator goes out and the park lamp for that side turns on.

Everything else from tails to brake lights to headlights all work, even the license plate lights. If I have the key on and headlights on, the front turn signals even work as normal, including the indicator light flashing but then it goes back on solid as soon as I turn the blinker off.

Anyone ever had this happen? I replaced the mf switch with another spare xj one... are the mf switches different in Comanches? I know the tail/stop wiring is different... it seems like the front park lamps are grounding out through the turn indicators. I've had the front end grill and header panel apart multiple times and can't find any funky wiring or unhooked grounds.

Thoughts?

I still say the sockets are bad, even tho you say they look good. I believe if you use an ohmeter, you'll find the power feeding back through the grounds. I don't recall exactly the procedures, because I did this years ago. My next truck I just replaced the sockets confident that they were causing the problem. The sockets are cheap and will take minimal time.

The ground for that light system is on the driver's side inner fender and is held on with a sheet metal screw. Start there.

The screw is usually loose and there's corrosion inder the terminal.

Also, just in front of the air cleaner is a 10 wire plug that can get corroded inside and also have wires chafe.

The sockets are also a good possibility as previously stated.

Alright, that gives me some good stuff to start with. I know which ground you're talking about on the fender... it's where my electric fan is grounded and some other stuff, there's about 4 wires attached to it. I'll double-check it's clean tonight, and then look at the 10-wire plug for the front light harness closer and clean it up. If all else fails, I have a spare front harness I can swap over that has good sockets on it...

Will report back!

Confirmed, both sockets are bad... must be the two hot wires for park and tail making contact inside. With no bulb in it, only the park lead has juice right behind the socket. If I put a bulb in, both the park and turn leads have juice behind the socket... so it's back feeding the park lamp voltage into the turn signal system through the front socket somehow.

The $#!&ty part is, the spare front light harness I have has one bad socket that does the same thing as well... other one acts like normal.

So, off to the parts store I go tomorrow to see if I can get two replacement sockets to solder in.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I'd update this thread with the final fix.... Replaced both sockets tonight and everything is peachy now. Both front marker lights come on, turn signals work, and the dash indicators for the turn signals don't come on anymore with the headlights!

I used Dorman part number 84716 which was an identical socket, down to the molding and everything. Got them at O'Reilly's but I'm sure they could be found at most any parts store that carries Dorman stuff. Perfect fit in the housing. The wire colors were different, but I matched them up physically to where the old wires went into the socket and they work perfect.