local '92 Comanche was offered to me . . .

I found a gentleman in town with a 1992 Comanche Shortbed 4wd. Its a sporty looking trailer towing beast of a truck.

Info:

195hp 4.0L I6 crate engine.

New Vendors 5spd transmission.

New process transfer case.

Dana 44's front an rear with 4.10s.

LT245/75R16E Firestone MTs on 16" Jeep wheels.

Metric ton springs.

Roll bar with lights.

Chrome trim.

Brush guard on front.

HD hitch bumper on rear.

Fancy 7round n 4flat light hook up.

Truck is bright metallic red and has black bedliner inside the box and on floor pans.

HID head light conversion, and LED light bulbs through out the truck.

He wanted me to make an offer on it.

What ya think the truck might be worth ?

Mike

I didn't take any pics of it wasn't my truck to do so, Well $2-3K is well beyond my means. I'm NOT to thrilled with Jeeps that have Chrysler logos any way.

Thanks guys

Mike

I found a gentleman in town with a 1992 Comanche Shortbed 4wd. Its a sporty looking trailer towing beast of a truck.

Info:

Metric ton springs.

Roll bar with lights.

Chrome trim.

Brush guard on front.

HD hitch bumper on rear.

Truck is bright metallic red and has black bedliner inside the box and on floor pans.

Mike

"New Vendors 5spd transmission"?

Do you mean New Venture? That would mean he has a new engine with an NVG3550 transmission, which is the tranny used in the 2000 and 2001 XJ and the 1999 and newer Wrangler 4.0L Jeeps. It's a much nicer (and slightly stronger) transmission than the AX-15. The tranny alone probably cost him $3 grand.

If the body is in good condition, you're probably looking at a $5,000+ truck. I know y'all are having a collective heart attack over the notion of a $5,000 MJ, but go out and price a low mileage Ranger or S10 (or one with a completely renovated drive train) and see what you come back with. The truck you're describing has had the ENTIRE drive train replaced. $2,000 to $3,000 is a fair price for an all-original '92 MJ with maybe 100,000 to 150,000 miles on it.

If I had a truck such as described and somebody offered me $3,000 for it I would be highly insulted, as well as knowing that the person has a tenuous grip on reality.

If I had a truck such as described and somebody offered me $3,000 for it I would be highly insulted, as well as knowing that the person has a tenuous grip on reality.

Eagle,

No need to be insulted. And I have a solid grip on reality. As I said, just not my cup of tea and I would not pay over $3K. No doubt the owner has much more than 10K into his truck. Just not willing to pay based on a quick verbal outline. No idea how much rust is on or under the truck. Frankly I doubt the owner would take $5K for it either.

I didn't take any pics of it wasn't my truck to do so, Well $2-3K is well beyond my means. I'm NOT to thrilled with Jeeps that have Chrysler logos any way.

Thanks guys

Mike

If you are thinking of passing on it, how about passing on some contact info for a fellow local? I would love to at least look at it.

Rob :wavey:

Much ado about nothing. With no pics, it's doesn't make good sense to even ask a "what's it worth" question. AMC vs. Chrysler, don't matter. Drive train components don't matter. Being it's a 92 don't matter. Red color or whatever bumpers don't matter. What matters most to me is that this rig is from WI. Salt doesn't care about all the above. Unless this thing was parked after the first snowfall every winter for it's entire life, it's a rust bucket. W/o detailed pics or a personal inspection, it's worth maybe $1000 for parts for me. And that's being generous.

I guess I will have to ask even more questions

Truck was built by JnL 4wd in Sun Prairie.

Drive train was bought NOT removed from another Jeep.

It has NOT been driven in winter, Typically parked Mid October and brought out Mid May.

Its been driven in some rainy and muddy conditions.

I did pull the floor mats back floor looked solid and sound but was coated with bed liner, I did the same with box too.

I told him I thought the truck was nice but well beyond my means.

His response was "Well its NOT technically for sale but if the right offer came up I might send it on its way"

Mike

:eek: like I said well beyond my means ;)

I will ask him if I can take some photos and post them, Its NOT my truck so I am leary of taking and posting photos of it.

Definitely seems to of been built/setup for towing.

Mike

Info:

Metric ton springs.

Roll bar with lights.

Chrome trim.

Brush guard on front.

HD hitch bumper on rear.

Mike

"New Vendors 5spd transmission"?

Do you mean New Venture? That would mean he has a new engine with an NVG3550 transmission, which is the tranny used in the 2000 and 2001 XJ and the 1999 and newer Wrangler 4.0L Jeeps. It's a much nicer (and slightly stronger) transmission than the AX-15. The tranny alone probably cost him $3 grand.

If the body is in good condition, you're probably looking at a $5,000+ truck. I know y'all are having a collective heart attack over the notion of a $5,000 MJ, but go out and price a low mileage Ranger or S10 (or one with a completely renovated drive train) and see what you come back with. The truck you're describing has had the ENTIRE drive train replaced. $2,000 to $3,000 is a fair price for an all-original '92 MJ with maybe 100,000 to 150,000 miles on it.

ODO showed just shy of 135,000 miles. He may have mis spoke or I miss heard.

Mike

There will come a time when very few of these trucks are left in good or better

condition. When that time comes, assuming there's anyone left alive who remembers

when Comanches were actually sold new, the prices will go up quickly. I wouldn't

be surprised to see them pass the $10k mark, or even more, for an unmolested

truck that isn't rotted. Might be closer than you think now. Mine isn't for sale, but

I doubt I would even consider a $10k offer today, even though there's still a lengthy

"to do" list.