Wheel Fitment

Surfing around CL for ideas of what to get as a next rim, and I stumbled upon this. Guy says they are "15x10, 5 lug, 4.5 spacing" and will fit a Jeep etc. Also, note the type of tires on the rim. :brows:

Question I have is, will they fit on an MJ? Aren't most of the stock Jeep rims 15x6/7s? Can someone school me real quick on rims? IE: What the 15x10 (example) rating means; and how it affects the tire size you can go up to without adding lift to your vehicle? If these do fit, and I can mount my 235/75/15s on 'em without any rubbing issues, I'll be pretty darn happy.

5Id5G55E93E33Me3J8c6o5941a5c7913d1ec9.jpg

I'm pretty sure a 235/75 will NOT work on a 10" wide rim. on a stock truck if they have minimal backspacing they will stick out very far. you'd need atleast an 11.50 tire to be able to safely run those. and that means going up to atleast a 33...

They sure look nice but on a near stock MJ they sadly wouldnt work.

• 1 month later...

Just as an example, mine are 15X8 off a TJ. 31X10.5 tires. Stock ride height.

Wee bit of rubbing on the control arms at full lock. If offroading, would probably rub the fenders just a bit as well as I hear it from time to time again at full lock. But not enough where I'd alter anything.

Surfing around CL for ideas of what to get as a next rim, and I stumbled upon this. Guy says they are "15x10, 5 lug, 4.5 spacing" and will fit a Jeep etc. Also, note the type of tires on the rim. :brows:

Question I have is, will they fit on an MJ? Aren't most of the stock Jeep rims 15x6/7s? Can someone school me real quick on rims? IE: What the 15x10 (example) rating means; and how it affects the tire size you can go up to without adding lift to your vehicle? If these do fit, and I can mount my 235/75/15s on 'em without any rubbing issues, I'll be pretty darn happy.

5Id5G55E93E33Me3J8c6o5941a5c7913d1ec9.jpg

Better make sure those have the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern or they will not bolt up without the use of adapters to get the larger 5 on 5 bolt pattern

If you are running a 3" lift with 31/10.5 tires what range of wheels can you play with?

Lift doesn't solve nearly as many problems as people seem to think.

It is possible to run 31x10.50s on factory rims on a Cherokee or a Comanche with NO lift. In the front, they will rub slightly where the rear inside shoulder of the tire hits the lower control arm with the steering cranked all the way to full lock. With the wheels pointed straight, on a Cherokee the tires will tuck nicely up into the fender wells when the suspension gets compressed. On the MJ, the front condition is exactly like the Cherokee -- very minor interference with the LCAs at full steering lock, no other issues. In the rear, a 10-1/2" wide time on the factory rims runs very close to the springs and the inner fender liner. You can run them and wheel them, but when the rear axle gets crossed up the tops of the tires rub the inner fender liner. I used to find black, shiny spots inside my wheel wells after every wheeling trip.

So lift 3 inches. The lift does NOTHING to move the front wheels away from the LCAs, so it doesn't solve that problem. In the rear, the lift does NOTHING to move the wheels out from the inner fender liners, so it doesn't solve that problem, either. Both problems can be addressed by using either wheel spacers or aftermarket rims with less backspacing ... but then you've moved the tires outboard and they hit the flares when the suspension compresses. So then you either extend the bump stops and massively reduce your suspension travel ... or you remove the flares and chop the sheet metal.

IMHO, people are much too anxious to throw on big tires without first thinking through the consequences of doing so. Unless you want to run big tires just because you think they look cool and you just HAVE to have them, consider that the optimum setup is the LEAST amount of lift and the SMALLEST tires that will get you where you want to go.

Again, I hate to disagree but will do so anyway:

31x10.50 on a stock Comanche, yes. On a stock Cherokee, no.

I installed a set of 31x10.50 tires on Sparkles' stock wheels before she had any lift about a year ago. At rest it was fine, but even the tiniest bump in the road at speed caused the rear tires to make contact with the front edge of the fender flares. Comanches shouldn't have this problem because the rear wheel opening is larger and the wheel sits in further.

She now happily sports 265/75R16 (32x10.50) on KJ rims with ~4" lift.

Again, I hate to disagree but will do so anyway:

31x10.50 on a stock Comanche, yes. On a stock Cherokee, no.

Disagree all you like. I have 31x10.50s on my '88 Cherokee right now, parked outside. Stock height -- no lift.

If it didn't work, I wouldn't have written that it works.

Is "Sparkles" the '96 Cherokee? I have the 31s on an '88. Somewhere after Chrysler took over they shifted the location of the axle centering hole in the leaf springs by 1/4" -- don't recall if it was forward or back. That could make a world of difference.