cowl hood.

so the intake i ordered for my mj says that if used on jeep cherokee (comanche) that hood shims will be required. I'm not going to screw up the look of my truck by boosting the back of my hood 2 inches so i was gonna go with a cowl induction look. does anybody know where i can get a good readymade hood or a decent looking scoop i can stick on and cut out the sheet metal?

I saw a steel cowl scoop in Jegs I think, A weld on piece, for $149. Have not seen it in person but I thought it looked like it might work on a comanche hood. PN. 106-X301-SCCOP-1for 2" or-2 for 4" tall

what intake? i would return the intake because you won't really get any real performance gain I'm my opnion, and that will save on cost for a hood. the one intake kit that i would like is a home made one like this, http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm or there is a company now making a pretty clean kit almost identical. its not what your asking for, but i had a cone filter on the truck, and without a shield its pointless and didnt get any seat of the pants increase. right now i just have the factory box, enlarged the whole in the front a whole lot and AFE filter. but in stock location your still getting warm air, and in deep water its not the best of location..

4wd and Q-tec both have a cowl induction hood for sale. Last I looked at them they were around $500.

You could make some 1 inch spacers for the back of the hood and its really not that big of a space at the back of the hood.

what intake? i would return the intake because you won't really get any real performance gain I'm my opnion, and that will save on cost for a hood. the one intake kit that i would like is a home made one like this, http://www.ericsxj.com/intake/intake.htm or there is a company now making a pretty clean kit almost identical. its not what your asking for, but i had a cone filter on the truck, and without a shield its pointless and didnt get any seat of the pants increase. right now i just have the factory box, enlarged the whole in the front a whole lot and AFE filter. but in stock location your still getting warm air, and in deep water its not the best of location..

He's one of those guys with the V6.

Rob

you are talking about THOR I believe, which their site wasn't working right now or I would have gave a link.

Pull out an angle grinder and start cutting. :D

Mine still needs some body work since I didn't start with the best of hoods to begin with but gives me more than enough clearance and helps with cooling. Sounds like you would need to go up faster in the front if you were to do this then flatten it out to clear everything. I have mine set at around a 3.5" cowl.

You only have to space the back of the hood up maby 3/4 of an inch or so and then use a hammer (i used a air hammer) and "finess" the hood brace that runs at the back of the hood right in the middle behind the air cleaner lid. It dosnt look bad at all and it didnt cost anything . What intake top did you get ? either way you went you should port match the top and bottom by temporarly installing the top piece to the bottom and using a scribe mark around the port holes then remove the top and use a die grinder with the approiate bit and slowly remove the material until you reach the scribed line. You must be carefull as it could be thin in some spots .