shift boot

does anybody know of a aftermarket shift boot that will fit my truck? it has the short console for a bench seat. my boot is getting so old worn and tight that its limiting my second and reverse gears

does anybody know of a aftermarket shift boot that will fit my truck? it has the short console for a bench seat. my boot is getting so old worn and tight that its limiting my second and reverse gears

Got a picture of the boot? I might be able to set you up with one if you can't find it anywhere else. I'm pretty sure it came out of a 5 speed '88. Too early in the morning to be remembering these things :yes:

As far as aftermarket goes, try local auto parts dealers around your area. Not too sure who's around you, but there's always RockAuto that I know of.

I would like to find a source for the lower boot that fits between the floor and the shifter. My upper boot looks okay. If/after I find one I'll have to figure out how the upper shifter rod comes off the stub shaft so I can get the lower boot on the stub shaft. (BA10/5)

I would like to find a source for the lower boot that fits between the floor and the shifter. My upper boot looks okay. If/after I find one I'll have to figure out how the upper shifter rod comes off the stub shaft so I can get the lower boot on the stub shaft. (BA10/5)

It's attached by friction. They come apart but not easily. You should remove the whole shifter from the top of the tranny and use a wooden dowel or block, placed against the upper shaft, and strike the wood with a hammer to separate the the two sections. Use a vice to hold the lower section but protect it from getting scratched or damaged. This is the inside of the upper section:

Thanks to you both - Aficianado and Addict - for the information. I've got the interior out now - repairing floor rust,installing buckets, dyeing carpet, checking fuse box, etc, etc, -so it's a good time to replace the boot.

I've learned just enough from this forum to be dangerous.