how totow a 1996 4x4 zj with a tow dolly

well my front driveshaft is disconected anyway because i got diffrent size gears.but i thought you could just put the transfer case in neutral to but i read somewhere that you couldnt. idk but if i disconected my rear driveshaft would i loose fluid?

With a transfer case that has a 2w-4w-N, 231 , 203 for example you can put it in nuetral and be OK for towing. The drive shafts are separated from each other. With a AWD the 2 axles are always locked together which means if one axle is turning then the other axle is also turning.

What engine/transmission/Tcase do you have? If you have a V8, that' means a 5.2/44RE/NP249. In 96' the 249 was redesigned and has a viscous coupler which will engage the front drive shaft automatically when there's a difference in tire speed (rear wheel spin). Prior years (93'-95') 249s have a differential in the Tcase. In those years if you remove the front drive shaft and park on a hill, the Jeep will start to roll down hill even after you put it in park.

Viscous Couplers usually only last about 70K miles, then they lock up and the front and rear drive shafts are locked as one and power is always sent to the front wheels. You'll know right away if yours good if you put the front wheels on the dolly and try to drive away because the rear wheels will not turn. Because the front wheels are strapped down and locked the rear wheels are locked also. However if your viscous coupler is good, you'll be able to put the fronts on the tow dolly and start to pull away. But while you're towing the rear wheels and drive shaft will spin and in effect, that will spin the viscous coupler and hydraulic pressure will build and the front drive shaft will want to spin also. If you drive very far, you won't have a good VC anymore. Bottom line is when you use the tow dolly and you've got a 96'-98' 249, then you must remove the rear drive shaft.

With a 4.0L/42RE/231 or 242, you can use the dolly without removing the rear drive shaft. Transmission goes in park, TC in neutral. Do not leave the transmission in neutral! With the rear drive shaft installed it will still spin the transmission internals and wreak havok on your bands and clutches. However, what if someone accidentally puts in in neutral, or you accidental leave it in neutral, you may break something, so again, regardless of what combo, its still a good idea to remove or disconnect the rear drive shaft when using a tow dolly!

The older transfer cases do not disconnect the two driveshafts from each other when the transfer case is in the neutral position. The front and rear driveshafts are locked together, but disconnected from the engine and transmission. If you try to flat two, the rear wheels will try to turn the front wheels, which are strapped down to the dolly.

This was changed some time in the mid-1990s, but I don't remember what year the transfer case started to have a true neutral.

A 1996 ZJ is probably okay. Just pull the rear drive shaft to be sure.