factory shocks with lift

i have some ranchos shocks on my truck right now i have a 3 inch lift for the front and a 1-2 for the rear if i don't wheel it and screw around with it can i run the factory size shocks since its not a huge lift?

let me restate that because that is a bunch of gibberish. i have 3 inch lift setup for the front without shocks and a 1-2 for the rear ready to go on the truck. i currently have some ranchos on it right now. since its a street goer for now and its not a giant lift would the shocks i already have work?

I would say no because I have a 2" budget boost with factory shocks and soon after installation my shocks started to leak.. And it got very rough so I would say no.

There is a cheap shock upgrade which is the JK shock upgrade from '07-'12 wrangler. Some people say they work for 2"-4" lift I would say more of 2"-3".. Go to jeep forum and search for a write up.

Hope this helps.

i have some ranchos shocks on my truck right now i have a 3 inch lift for the front and a 1-2 for the rear if i don't wheel it and screw around with it can i run the factory size shocks since its not a huge lift?

You can do it, but it;'s not a great idea. The front is more of a problem that the rear.

I looked up shock technical info on the Monroe web site. (Monroe is the same company that makes Rancho, BTW.) Depending on which shock you choose, the full travel for the front ranges from 7-3/8" to 7-1/2". In the rear, full travel ranges from 8-5/8" to 9-3/4". There's no way to know for sure, but for theory let's assume that at stock height your stock shocks have the pistol at the exact mid-point of travel.

Adding lift uses up shock up-travel. The fronts have (theoretically) about 3-1/2" of up-travel ... total. If you have a 3" lift, your shocks are just about topped out.

The rear isn't as bad, because you have less lift and the shocks have more travel. Up-travel for the rear will be around 4-1/2". If your lift isn't any more than 2" you won't be topped out, you'll still have a couple of inches to go.

I think you're okay in the back. For the front, if you can't afford new shocks, somebody makes 1-1/2" shock stud extenders that would bring the pistons back closer to the midpoint of the travel. If you go that route, be careful about slamming into bumps, because the extenders will make it easy to bottom out the shocks unless you extend your bump stops.

aHR0cDovL2EyNDguZS5ha2FtYWkubmV0L29yaWdpbi1jZG4udm9sdXNpb24uY29tL2d0NW94LmJvczdqL3YvdnNwZmlsZXMvcGhvdG9zL1NVUy0xODItMlQuZ2lm==.gif

I would say no because I have a 2" budget boost with factory shocks and soon after installation my shocks started to leak.. And it got very rough so I would say no.

There is a cheap shock upgrade which is the JK shock upgrade from '07-'12 wrangler. Some people say they work for 2"-4" lift I would say more of 2"-3".. Go to jeep forum and search for a write up.

Hope this helps.

I think this needs clarified.... JK rubi shocks will work for a small lift with minor mods. The Stock base JK shocks are only an inch longer than OEM MJ shocks... I have these on mine with about 1 1/2" lift over 2wd original and they are just barely long enough. Just so ya know.

What I did [which or may not be relevant to the thread] when I lited the rear of my rig 2.5" is ran the stock shocks for about two months while waiting on my shock shipment from Motion.

You may ask: Did they work? For the most part, yes since it was winter and I had bags of sand in the back to drop the rear an inch or two. Did I extend the shocks all the way when turning quickly into driveways with this arrangement? Yes [with a bang!].

i got the lift done and everything. in the end i ended up with some 3 inch grade 8 bolts and hardware and 4 pieces of 2 3/4 pipe. i made some spacers for the bottom of the shocks. works like a champ

Its weird that they put those on then use the crappy bar pins,IMO a bar pin eliminator would be better then those.

Here's some I made.

i did something like that but a little more rednecked ha only temporary.