Which transfer case will work?

I am putting a 1998 AX15 out of a Wrangler. I need to know all of my transfer case options. I know I need 23 splines, but what years and models can I look for. Salvage yards around here think the cases are gold. Most of them priced at 350.00.

any 23 spline 231 will work. you'll find them behind 90+ 4.0s (2.5s are all 21 spline) in pretty much any small Jeep (XJ/MJ/TJ/YJ/etc) that had command trac. you'll want the XJ/MJ linkages though (including the little arm on the t-case and the bracket on the body).

try car-part.com if you haven't yet. :thumbsup:

any 23 spline 231 will work. you'll find them behind 90+ 4.0s (2.5s are all 21 spline) in pretty much any small Jeep (XJ/MJ/TJ/YJ/etc) that had command trac. you'll want the XJ/MJ linkages though (including the little arm on the t-case and the bracket on the body).

try car-part.com if you haven't yet. :thumbsup:

So it doesn't matter if it was behind a auto or manual or what year it is?

It might, as different transmissions got transfer cases with different length input shafts. Some combinations may work, others may not.

Also I seem to remember a post about the input shaft moving to spiral splines at some point, but can't remember what year that was, or if it was relating to Jeeps or something else.

A 242 selec-trac case will work also. All the same options as a 231, plus a full time 4wd (AWD) setting.

FWIW I have a good 231 out of a 96 XJ you can have for $100, but shipping to ID would probably be a killer.

(2.5s are all 21 spline) in pretty much any small Jeep (XJ/MJ/TJ/YJ/etc) that had command trac.

One little caveat to that......YJ's with the 2.5 that have a 904/909 tranny behind them have 23 spline cases.

Jeff

FYI, the wrangler AX-15 is a slight bit different from an XJ/MJ one, the output "adapter" piece has different holes in it, because the T-case is clocked flatter on a wrangler compared to an XJ or MJ. You might have to do a little bit of floor clearancing to make it work, and the linkages for the XJ/MJ might take some tweaking to get perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
(2.5s are all 21 spline) in pretty much any small Jeep (XJ/MJ/TJ/YJ/etc) that had command trac.

One little caveat to that......YJ's with the 2.5 that have a 904/909 tranny behind them have 23 spline cases.

Jeff

XJs and MJs with 2.5L too! AND it's a shallow 23 spline, same as full size Jeeps.