Clutch not releasing

1988, 4.0,5speed, New clutch,slave cylinder,pilot bearing, and release bearing with around 3,000miles. It will sometimes not go into gear or shift and when sitting at a stop I can feel the clutch trying to engage. I noticed this once earlier this week and then it drove fine for a couple days and the started again today. Can the master cylinder be bad? fluid is good and no leaks.

Thanks, Steve

Could be your new slave cylinder going out. Did you get an aftermarket one? They seem to have a rather bad track record.

Thats what I was afraid of, its the one that came in the clutch kit and I can't remember the brand.

When guys here brag about paying $147 for a complete clutch kit including TOB............(eyes roll).

Not to :hijack: but I do agree with Ismurphy think this should be a sticky. If not THIS particular post, but one that warns people about the possibility of a bad clutch slave. I've seen at least a dozen threads about the same subject, with the same answers. Not trying to rag on anyone, just stating my own twocents.gif

Alright, soapbox.gif over. But yeah, sounds like a bad slave. Might I suggest going the external slave route (if you have the $ and knowhow to upgrade to an AX5 with external components) instead of buying a new slave. Although, if you know how to do tranny work, I would just replace the slave and eventually save up to find an external tranny setup.

The most common thing that I've seen is the hardlines aren't crimped correctly; which causes the seal to 'kinda' seat well....but once the pressure is applied in just the right spot, it blows out. It seems to be common among 'all' slaves...every brand I've seen has had the same problem. I can't imagine there's all that many companies making a special use part for an uncommon vehicle that's over 20 years old? :dunno:

I had really good experience with a LUK slave cylinder....I removed the tranny 3 times trying to get the clutch to function - each time, even without releasing the pressure the cylinder didn't rupture itself or fail. I drove it like that for 2 months, and as far as I know it still works and is sitting in my pile of parts.

Whatever ya do, don't drive it or ya could end up in the same boat as I was. I had the same issue a while back and ended up snapping the 1st and 2nd shift rod in half. I had to gut the trans to fix it. Not a bad job to do if you know transmissions. If you don't, ya gotta pay a shop to do it. Not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct me if I'm wrong but a bad pilot bearing won't cause it to not go into gear.......

Ya sure everything is fixed??

If the bearing is seized to the input shaft then the fly wheel and the input shaft turn at the same speed just like the clutch is not released. I am instlling a complete new clutch kit anyway as it was under warranty but was thinking of using a better bearing than what came in the kit.

Ahhh, guess I've never had the pleasure of having one seize to the shaft. My 3 have only ever started to squeal then I changed em out.

Yep they usualy make noise but this one the cage came apart and all of the needles bunched up and locked the shaft. It makes it a little hard to remove the trans as well.